Danny Boyle Came “Close To Walking Away” From Olympics Opening Ceremony

Joe Utichi contributes to Deadline’s UK coverage.

Danny Boyle threatened to resign as artistic director of the opening ceremony of last year’s Olympic Games in London, he has disclosed. In an updated book of conversations with journalist Amy Raphael, to be published on April 4, Boyle claims he butted heads with Games organizers Locog over creative differences and his displeasure with certain decisions being made for the Games. He came “close to walking away” when he heard of plans for ground-to-air missile silos to be installed on buildings near the Olympic site, and became “unbelievably unpleasant” during meetings with Locog. “Occasional threats to resign were useful,” he said. “There’s a terror of bad headlines in the press, which you have to turn to your advantage.” A major point of contention was a stadium wrap being designed by the artist Damien Hirst. Hirst pulled out over a row about sponsorship from Dow Chemical and its links to the Bhopal gas disaster in India in 1984, which killed 15,000 people. “He didn’t want to be associated with Dow,” Boyle said, although Hirst did later contribute a design to the closing ceremony.

Related: Oh Danny Boy! Oh Boo NBC! “Giant Juke Box” Wins Kudos For Olympic Opener; NBC Hammered Back Home
(more…)

This article was printed from https://deadline.com/2013/03/danny-boyle-came-close-to-walking-away-from-olympics-opening-ceremony-455421/