Secret Service Interrupt Donald Trump Press Conference After Person Shot Outside White House Grounds

C-Span screen capture

UPDATE, 17:09 PM PT: A shooting that forced President Donald Trump to evacuate the White House briefing room took place at 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, which is northwest of the Eisenhower Executive Office Building.

“A male suspect and a USSS officer were both transported to a local hospital. At no time during this incident was the White House complex breached or were any protectees in danger,” the Secret Service said.

The agency said that the investigation is ongoing.

PREVIOUSLY: Donald Trump cut his press conference short and he was escorted out the White House briefing room by Secret Service after a shooting just outside of the grounds.

Several minutes into his remarks, Trump was interrupted by a man, apparently a Secret Service agent, appeared just off the side of the president asked him to come with him. Trump left the room. As reporters scrambled to see what was happening, they reported that the doors to the briefing room were locked.


After several minutes away, Trump returned to the briefing room.

“There was a shooting outside of the White House and it seems to be under control,” Trump said.

He said that the person was shot by the Secret Service and taken to the hospital. He said that he was taken to the Oval Office. During the briefing, Fox News’s chief White House correspondent John Roberts said, “I heard two shots in rapid succession just after you took the podium.”

Trump said that after he was asked to leave the briefing room, he was taken to the Oval Office.

“You were surprised. I was surprised also. I think it’s pretty unusual,” Trump said.

He said that it was his understanding that the suspect was armed. “It might¬†not have had anything to do with me,” he said.

In 1994, a man approached the fence in front of the north lawn of the White House and fired 29 rounds at the White House with a semi automatic rifle. Tourists tackled the suspect, who was later convicted and sentenced to 40 years in prison on charges of attempting to assassinate President Bill Clinton. The next year, a two-block stretch of Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the White House was closed to vehicle traffic.

This article was printed from