Whitman, appearing on CNBC and Fox Business this morning, said the number exceeded company expectations, noting that 80% of users who started watching a show completed the first episode, suggesting strong engagement for the service, which launched April 6.
Whitman told Fox Business that among the most popular content on the site so far is Jennifer Lopez’s Thanks a Million, Liam Hemsworth’s Most Dangerous Game and LeBron James’ I Promise.
“We feel great we have enough content to last us now through November, and this is important because all of Hollywood is shut down like the rest of the country, and we’ll see how our users consume,” Whitman said.
Preliminary data showed Quibi was installed by 300,000 users across Apple and Andriod devices on its first day of launch, compared to 4 million installs for Disney+ on its launch day in November. The Quibi total was 530,000 at the end of day two, according to analytics firm SensorTower. Disney said last week it now has 50 million subs.
Quibi offers short bites — with top talent in front of and behind the camera — meant to be consumed on the go on a handheld device. But with shelter-in-place widespread owing to the coronavirus pandemic, not many people are moving around these days. Katzenberg said ahead of launch that had considered delaying the rollout but decided not to, offering a 90-day free trial instead. Originally, Whitman said today, the free trial was going to be two weeks.
After 90 days, subscribers will pay $4.99 a month for an ad-supported version or $7.99 a month for no ads.
Also notable in Monday’s CNBC interview, Whitman said the company is working on making the app cast to TV screens, a feature she said had always been planned but was not available at launch. That is one capability that would be useful during the shutdown – Quibi was meant to be consumed on the go but there’s not much go happening now thanks to stay-at-home restrictions.