Steven Seagal No Longer Under Siege By LA DA For Sex Abuse Claims

Shutterstock

For the second time this year, Vladimir Putin’s favorite action star has evaded a sex crimes probe by the Los Angeles County District Attorney.

Jackie Lacey’s office today revealed that they have “declined” possible charges against Steven Seagal for an alleged 2002 sexual assault due to the statute of limitations having expired.

“The reporting party alleged that on or between May 1, 2002 and August 31, 2002, she was sexually assaulted by the suspect (redacted),” says the December 20 dated charge evaluation worksheet on the Above The Law actor from the D.A.’s office. “The case was previously declined for further investigation,” the one page document adds. The results of the subsequent investigation did not yield evidence sufficient to meet the requirements of P.C. 803(f). Therefore, the case is declined due to the expiration of the statute of limitations.”

While the worksheet redacts the name of the alleged victim too, Deadline has learned that she is Faviola Dadis. Along with fellow Seagal accuser Regina Simons, the Lisa Bloom represented former model came forward in March saying that Moscow’s recently appointed special representative to improve relations between the US and Russia assaulted her during a “private” audition at the W Hotel in Beverly Hills approximately 16 years ago.

Though there is no longer a statute of limitation in California for sex crimes, that new 2016 law was not retroactive. Consequently, assaults and abuse incidents that occurred before January 1, 2017 still have a lifespan of about 10 years for charges to be filed.

It was that fact that allowed Seagal to also evade another claim that the L.A. D.A. decided to decline to pursue back in early September.

“The Los Angeles DA’s office recently notified my client Faviola Dadis and me that it would not prosecute Steven Seagal, who has been multiply accused of sexual assault, for her claim that he sexually assaulted her when she was seventeen years old,” Bloom told Deadline today. “The sole reason for its refusal is the statute of limitations, and California law’s requirement that the victim in this situation (reporting child sexual assault after the age of 21) have independent evidence that clearly and independently corroborates her claims.”
“We appreciate the DA’s office’s careful review of this case,” the lawyer added. “Its hands are tied by this unfair law which bars the courthouse door even to young women like my client, Faviola Dadis, who is highly credible. The law fails to recognize that few minors are emotionally ready to seek justice against their rapists until many years later. Instead, it offers rapists a “get out of jail free” card if they simply pass an arbitrary time deadline. And the law seems to presume that victims are lying, creating an unfairly high evidentiary standard not required in other criminal cases. Few rapists commit their crimes in the presence of witnesses.”
“I’m proud of my two clients, Faviola Dadis and Regina Simons, who have so bravely spoken out about their frightening experiences with Steven Seagal,” Bloom asserted. “I hope others will be inspired by their courage, as I am, and not be deterred by this setback.”

Seagal is not alone in having the old statute and its setback factor work in his favor. The likes of ex-CBS boss Les Moonves, Kevin Spacey and the now Pennsylvania imprisoned Bill Cosby , all slithered out of further investigation and possibly charges because of how long ago some of the many claims against them were said to occur. LAPD and Beverly Hills Police Investigations of Harvey Weinstein, who is heading for trial and potential life behind bars in a rape case from NYC prosecutors, are still under review by the office.

This article was printed from https://deadline.com/2018/12/steven-seagal-sexual-assault-case-declined-los-angeles-district-attorney-1202524797/