“I’m not sure what’s happening on Top Gear yet,” LeBlanc told TV critics, which seemed to take them by surprise. When one of them asked LeBlanc if he is returning to the car-centric non-scripted series, LeBlanc responded, “I don’t know. I’d like to. Nothing has officially happened yet. Call BBC.”
Last month, Chris Evans announced he was stepping down from the motoring show. The host, whose rebooted version of the BBC Two series replaced the previous iteration led by Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond, tweeted the news on July 4.
Evans was named host in June 2015 after a headline-making physical altercation between Clarkson and a producer earlier in the year led to the latter’s contract not being renewed. In February of this year, LeBlanc was set as co-host with Evans. Four others also subsequently joined the lineup.
The new Top Gear had been dogged by poor ratings. There were reports of on-set tension between Evans and LeBlanc, and the BBC was said in July to be negotiating with the former Friends star to continue for a second season, The Guardian reported.
Mark Linsey, Director of BBC Studios said in a statement, “Chris is stepping down from his duties on Top Gear. He says he gave it his best shot doing everything he could to make the show a success. He firmly believes that the right people remain, on both the production team and presenting team to take the show forward and make it the hit we want it to be. The new series has so far notched up over 30M views in the UK alone and has already been sold to 130 territories worldwide.”