NYC TV Reporter Lisa Colagrossi Dies After Collapsing While On Assignment

Veteran New York reporter Lisa Colagrossi died Friday after suffering a catastrophic brain aneurysm while out on assignment, WABC-TV reported. The 49-year-old mother of two was rushed to New York-Presbyterian Weill Cornell Medical Center’s neurological ICU and placed on life support. She never regained consciousness.

Colagrossi was en route back to the station from covering a four-alarm fire in Woodhaven, Queens, that tore through several homes late Wednesday night, according to multiple reports. “She was in the news van after finishing her live shot when she said ‘Oh my God, something is wrong,’ ” a friend said. Her producer flagged down an ambulance.

Colagrossi joined WABC in 2001 as a morning reporter a few days after the 9/11 tragedy. She has served as a substitute anchor on various news programs on the station. Most recently, she has been a reporter for the Eyewitness News programs in the morning and at noon. Before joining WABC-TV, Lisa was a main news anchor for WKMG-TV in Orlando, Florida. She began her journalism career at WKYC-TV in her hometown of Cleveland, Ohio, and later worked at stations in West Virginia and Alabama. She won several local Emmys and numerous awards from the Florida Associated Press and Society of Professional Journalists.

“Lisa Colagrossi embodied the Eyewitness News spirit — a straightforward reporter who told the truth, empathetic to the everyday citizens of the New York area, and demanding of those in power,” said Dave Davis, President and General Manager of WABC-TV. ”All of us in the Channel 7 family are in shock over her sudden death. Our attention is now focused on helping her husband and two children though this difficult time.”

“Lisa will be terribly missed,” added Camille Edwards, News Director at Channel 7. “Her bright smile and big blue eyes lit up our newsroom. She was a reporter with two wonderful qualities: grace and grit. Her Eyewitness News family is overwhelmed with grief right now. Our hearts are truly broken.”
She is survived survived by her husband Todd and two sons, age 11 and 14.

This article was printed from