‘Being Mortal’ Production Suspended Due To Complaint Against Bill Murray For Inappropriate Behavior

EXCLUSIVE: Following the news that production was suspended on the Searchlight film Being Mortalsources tell Deadline the suspension had to do with a complaint made against star Bill Murray for inappropriate behavior.

It is unknown at this time what Murray’s involvement in the project will be going forward as the investigation remains active. Insiders add that Aziz Ansari — who is starring, writing and making his directorial debut on the film alongside his partner Youree Henley — was not a part of the complaint, nor was co-star Seth Rogen.

Searchlight said it does not comment during ongoing investigations.

Lucy Liu Opens Up About Altercation With Bill Murray On Set Of ‘Charlie’s Angels’: “I Stood Up For Myself, And I Don’t Regret It”

The complaint was filed last week, production was halted on Monday, and a decision ultimately was made to suspend production going forward as the investigation continues and next steps are decided on. Cast and crew were told about the production being suspended last night in a letter sent out by the studio.

Watch on Deadline

The film is based on Atul Gawande’s nonfiction book Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End. Principal photography had started March 28, and sources say it was halfway through before the production halted this week. The plan was to release the film in 2023. It is unknown at this time if the suspension will affect the release.