UPDATE 10:08AM: The organizers of Mip TV and NATPE are to follow all “government sanctions and policies in each territory where we operate” regarding Russia, with Deadline understanding there will effectively be no Russian presence at the Cannes TV market.
A statement earlier today from Mip owner RX France condemned the Russian invasion of Ukraine and said the company “stands in solidarity with the people of Ukraine, particularly with our employees around the world who have family and friends in Ukraine.”
More Stories On Russia-Ukraine Conflict
“We also stand in solidarity with our Russian employees working in challenging conditions,” added the statement.
“In a rapidly changing environment, RX is following government sanctions and policies in each territory where we operate.”
In effect, Deadline understands this means there will be no Russian presence at the market and any deals that were taking place prior to last week’s invasion of Ukraine will be cancelled.
Meanwhile, a NATPE statement in the past few minutes said Russian companies are banned from the market.
“The Ukrainian people have our full support over the barbaric and horrific invasion of their homeland by the brutal dictator Putin and his surrogates,” it added. “We wish we could provide more tangible assistance, but what we can do is join the world community and prevent Russian presence from conducting commerce.”
Mip TV is set to take place in Cannes in early April, the first in-person event for three years, while NATPE will run in Budapest from June 27 to 30.
The Russia invasion is into its fifth day and is showing no signs of slowing.
The TV and film world has been reacting by pulling films from certain festivals such as Glasgow and Stockholm and the likes of Disney, Sony and Paramount have pulled theatrical releases in the nation.
Must Read Stories
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.