The pipeline programs are NBC’s continuing effort to increase diverse representation in episodic directing. Female Forward looks to achieve gender parity in the director’s chair while the Emerging Director Program focuses on ethnically diverse men and gender non-binary talent. They are both part of the tent pole initiatives within the NBC Talent Infusion Programs (NBC TIPS) that promote and encourage people of diverse backgrounds to become the next generation of storytellers.
The finalists for both programs will have the opportunity to shadow on an NBC scripted series and are guaranteed an in-season commitment to direct at least one episode of the series they shadow. The submission window is open now and will close November 3 at 11:59 p.m. PT.
Applicants must have previous directing experience (although no more than one scripted television directing credit) in order to submit. They must also legally able to work in the United States. For Female Forward, applicants must identify as female and for the Emerging Director Program, applicants must identify as gender non-binary or male. Submissions must include:
- One letter of recommendation from an advocate of the director who is not a talent representative. Letters of nomination will not be accepted from anyone who works for or with talent, specifically managers, agents, publicists and lawyers.
- Resume with detailed directing experience
- Reel summarizing the director’s work
- Up to three completed samples of work
- Responses to two essay questions
- (optional) One additional letter of recommendation
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.