“Upon becoming aware of allegations of sexual misconduct against AJ Calloway, we began an internal review to determine whether there had been any misconduct by Mr. Calloway on Extra and whether any employee of the show had been the victim of any such misconduct,” said a company statement. “To date, we have found nothing to suggest that Mr. Calloway has ever engaged in workplace misconduct.
“In light of additional allegations brought to our attention, we are expanding our ongoing inquiries, and Mr. Calloway has been suspended pending further review. We take such allegations very seriously and are committed to doing everything we can to ensure a safe and inclusive workplace for all of our employees.”
Rosario Dawson To Star In HBO Max Pilot 'DMZ' From Ava DuVernay
Sources indicate Calloway was suspended with pay while the investigation continues.
Calloway originally was accused of sexual assault last June by writer Sil Lai Abrams. Nothing happened then, but a subsequent incident in December has apparently prompted a deeper dive.
When the December allegations first surfaced, Warner Bros, whose Telepictures division produces entertainment news magazine Extra, issued a statement stressing that there had been no issues with Calloway in the workplace.
“We take allegations made against our employees seriously and investigate appropriately. To date, we have not received a complaint about A.J. Calloway and his work on Extra,” an Extra spokesperson said in the Jan. 4 statement to Deadline.
Calloway has co-hosted Extra since 2008. After a long run on the NBC stations, the entertainment newsmagazine is moving to Fox stations in top markets.
According to The Daily Beast, the West Orange Police Department confirmed that a complaint of aggravated sexual assault was filed against Calloway on December 24. Due to the nature of the allegations, they were unable to release any further details on the complaint.
Another woman who reached out to Abrams agreed to talk to The Daily Beast on the condition of anonymity. “I’m terrified about coming forward,” the woman who identified herself as Talia explained. “I don’t want it to affect my future, everything that I’ve worked hard for—and A.J. is someone that would try to do that.”
Talia told The Daily Beast she began corresponding with Calloway on social media in 2011. After turning down several of his requests to go out with him, she said she eventually went to a party at his house after going out on a date with him, and when the guests left they began making out.
She told the Daily Beast he became more and more aggressive. “I just remember him pulling his penis out and he began stroking himself and he kept trying to put my hand on his penis and eventually he ejaculated on my hands,” she told The Daily Beast. She said she wanted to “get out of there” but didn’t have a ride home.
“After what happened he said, ‘I’ll take you home in the morning, I promise.’ After that, Talia said she disconnected from the mutual friends she shared with Calloway, because she didn’t “want to risk ever having to see him again.”
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.