EXCLUSIVE: Two of the industry’s best-known charitable organizations – the Actors Fund and the Motion Picture & Television Fund – have joined forces to create Entertainment Health Insurance Solutions (EHIS), which will provide health insurance counseling services to members of the entertainment and performing arts communities.
The two organizations have worked together before in supporting industry members through social services programs, but this marks their first direct collaboration.
“MPTF is delighted to collaborate with the Actors Fund on what is quickly becoming a growing need in our industry,” said Bob Beitcher, MPTF’s president and CEO. “Both organizations recognize that working in entertainment is a freelancer’s business and now, more than ever, it matters that we provide safety nets to take care of our entire community in times of hardship.”
Said Joe Benincasa, president and CEO of the Actors Fund: “The Actors Fund is proud to partner with MPTF in helping people find insurance plans that work for them. While no one is more resilient than the people in our industry, there’s no denying it’s a tough business. This collaboration will build on our services that ensure our community has the resources and support they need to proactively manage their lives and mitigate crisis.”
On its website, EHIS says: “Getting health insurance or finding quality medical care can be confusing for anyone who isn’t covered by an employer or union health plan. EHIS identifies coverage options and helps members of the entertainment community enroll in them. … EHIS offers comprehensive, unbiased, one-on-one health insurance counseling, enrollment, and referrals for industry members and their families.”
EHIS health insurance specialists will provide counseling at two Actors Fund locations — the SAG-AFTRA Building in Los Angeles and the offices of IATSE Local 80 in Burbank — and at two MPTF locations in Woodland Hills and Burbank. EHIS says it offers comprehensive, unbiased, one-on-one health insurance counseling, enrollment and referrals for industry members and their families.
“Getting health insurance or finding quality medical care can be confusing for anyone who isn’t covered by an employer or union health plan,” EHIS says on its website. “EHIS identifies coverage options and helps members of the entertainment community enroll in them. We are singularly focused on keeping members of our entertainment community healthy and capable of pursuing their chosen careers. Our experienced staff of licensed agents provides unbiased, comprehensive health insurance counseling.”
Its services include:
• Consultations in person and/or by phone;
• Competitive health insurance options and enrollment assistance in medical, dental, vision, and travel health insurance plans;
• Group, individual, family and senior options;
• Alternatives to COBRA;
• Enrollment in Medi-Cal, Covered California plans, Child Health Insurance Program, Medicare and Medicare products;
• Educational seminars on insurance options, including Affordable Care Act plans, Medi-Cal and Medicare;
• Community outreach through participation in health fairs, conferences and other local events;
• Advocacy for legislative changes that will make insurance more user-friendly and affordable; and
• Information and practical tips from our monthly Health Insurance HQ and our online educational resources and materials.