At the risk of revving up a chorus of ‘Hollywood has officially run out of ideas,’ Mattel and Warner Bros announced they are partnering in a movie based on Hot Wheels, the toyline of small cars that run on those orange tracks. It’s the second property Mattel has long tried to turn in a movie, and set new versions at Warner Bros. The other is Barbie, which has seen Amy Schumer and Anne Hathaway drop in and out before Sony exited. They are trying again with Margot Robbie. Let’s see how all this turns out: the last attempt to get kids excited about a car movie was Monster Trucks, which got stuck in the mud. But those LEGO movies sure struck gold.
Hot Wheels Movie In Works For Mattel, Warner Bros
What's Hot on Deadline
Lee Daniels Lets Loose On "Pain & Anger" That 'Empire' Team Feels Over Jussie Smollett's Alleged Fake Hate Crime
Disney's Bob Iger Hails "A Historic Day For Our Company" Following Fox Deal Close, Stresses Challenges Of Merging The Units
David Letterman Tells Ellen DeGeneres He Stayed Too Long At 'Late Show': "Nobody Had The Guts To Fire Me"
Latest Film News
- Emily Blunt In Talks To Star In ‘Not Fade Away’ At Annapurna; John Krasinski & David O. Russell Producing
- Lincoln Center 50th Gala Adds Scorsese, Aronofsky, Gyllenhaal, Dee Rees
- Rom-Com ‘Plus One’ Acquired By RLJE Films Ahead Of Tribeca Premiere
- Disney’s Alan Horn & Alan Bergman Set Out “New Chapter” For Walt Disney & Fox
- Surfing Doc ‘Bethany Hamilton: Unstoppable’ Lands At Entertainment Studios Motion Pictures
- Toronto Film Festival Appoints Senior Director, Film & Announces Two More Promotions