UPDATED with all winners: Alfonso Cuarón’s personal drama Roma from Netflix led all winners at the Critics’ Choice Awards on Sunday, taking four total wins including the marquee Best Picture honor at the televised ceremony at Barker Hanger in Santa Monica.

Cuarón was busy onstage during a show in which the Broadcast Film Critics Association and Broadcast Television Journalists Association mostly spread the love among its 42 total film and TV categories. The Mexican filmmaker also won Best Director, Best Cinematography and Best Foreign Film trophies; the question is whether we are seeing a preview of the Oscars in a month and a half — last year, the Critics’ Choice show chose 17 of 19 eventual Oscar winners.

“This bunch of Mexican are not as bad as sometimes they are portrayed,” Cuarón said onstage, accepting the last award. He thanked Netflix for “bringing this film to the people in the mainstream.”

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” team
Broadimage/Shutterstock

On the TV side, FX’s The Americans, which came in with five noms, won Best Drama Series for its final season, while Amazon’s The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel took Best Comedy Series; each had three wins overall on the night to lead the TV categories. The latter’s star, Rachel Brosnahan, won Best Comedy Actress earlier in the night for the second year in a row.

Speaking of multiple wins, there were a few. Lady Gaga started of the show with a Best Song win for A Star Is Born‘s “Shallow,” then co-won the Best Actress award with The Wife‘s Glenn Close (it was the second tie of the night, joining Sharp Objects‘ Amy Adams and Escape at Dannemora‘s Patricia Arquette in Best Actress in a Limited Series). Christian Bale took Best Actor for Annapurna’s Vice after winning in the Best Comedy Actor category for the same role.

Vice won for Best Hair and Makeup to take three overall wins, the same total as Disney/Marvel’s Black Panther (craft wins for Production Design, Costume Design and Special Effects).

Taye Diggs hosted this year’s show, which aired live on the East Coast and is tape-delayed to 7 on the West Coast.

Here’s the full winners’ list, followed by how the night went down in our live blog:

FILM

BEST PICTURE

“Roma” (Netflix)

BEST ACTOR

Christian Bale – “Vice” (Annapurna)

BEST ACTRESS – TIE

Glenn Close – “The Wife” (Sony Pictures Classics)

Lady Gaga – “A Star Is Born” (Warner Bros.)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Mahershala Ali – “Green Book” (Universal)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Regina King – “If Beale Street Could Talk” (Annapurna)

BEST YOUNG ACTOR/ACTRESS

Elsie Fisher – “Eighth Grade” (A24)

BEST ACTING ENSEMBLE

“The Favourite” (Fox Searchlight)

BEST DIRECTOR

Alfonso Cuarón – “Roma” (Netflix)

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Paul Schrader – “First Reformed” (A24)

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Barry Jenkins – “If Beale Street Could Talk” (Annapurna)

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Alfonso Cuarón – “Roma” (Netflix)

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

Hannah Beachler, Jay Hart – “Black Panther” (Disney)

BEST EDITING

Tom Cross – “First Man” (Universal)

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

Ruth Carter – “Black Panther” (Disney)

BEST HAIR AND MAKEUP

“Vice” (Annapurna)

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

“Black Panther” (Disney)

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” (Sony)

BEST ACTION MOVIE

“Mission: Impossible – Fallout” (Paramount)

BEST COMEDY

“Crazy Rich Asians” (Warner Bros.)

BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY

Christian Bale – “Vice” (Annapurna)

BEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY

Olivia Colman – “The Favourite” (Fox Searchlight)

BEST SCI-FI OR HORROR MOVIE

“A Quiet Place” (Paramount)

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

“Roma” (Netflix)

BEST SONG

Shallow – “A Star Is Born” (Warner Bros.)

BEST SCORE

Justin Hurwitz – “First Man” (Universal)

TELEVISION

BEST DRAMA SERIES

“The Americans” (FX Networks)

BEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES

Matthew Rhys – “The Americans” (FX Networks)

BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES

Sandra Oh – “Killing Eve” (BBC America)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES

Noah Emmerich – “The Americans” (FX Networks)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES

Thandie Newton – “Westworld” (HBO)

BEST COMEDY SERIES

“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” (Amazon)

BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES

Bill Hader – “Barry” (HBO)

BEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES

Rachel Brosnahan – “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” (Amazon)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES

Henry Winkler – “Barry” (HBO)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES

Alex Borstein – “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” (Amazon)

BEST LIMITED SERIES

“The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story” (FX Networks)

BEST MOVIE MADE FOR TELEVISION

“Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert” (NBC)

BEST ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE MADE FOR TELEVISION

Darren Criss – “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story” (FX Networks)

BEST ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE MADE FOR TELEVISION – TIE

Amy Adams – “Sharp Objects” (HBO)

Patricia Arquette – “Escape at Dannemora” (Showtime)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE MADE FOR TELEVISION

Ben Whishaw – “A Very English Scandal” (Amazon)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE MADE FOR TELEVISION

Patricia Clarkson – “Sharp Objects” (HBO)

BEST ANIMATED SERIES

“BoJack Horseman” (Netflix)

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20194:25 pm

Welcome aboard. Taye Diggs onstage to kick off the show.

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20194:29 pm

With 42 total categories, the Critics’ Choice Awards hands out some awards pre-show on its fancy blue carpet. Mission: Impossible won earlier, for example, for best action film.

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20194:30 pm

WINNER: Best Song – “Shallow”, from A Star Is Born

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20194:32 pm

Lady Gaga accepting — this also won the Golden Globe last weekend. It was its only win that night.

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20194:36 pm

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20194:36 pm

Accepting the win for Best Song, Lady Gaga said she would “never forget playing it for” Bradley Cooper and then singing it with him live “take after take after…”
“Shallow,” she said was about “asking each other questions about life in the shallowness of the modern era” adding to the critics, “I’m happy it resonated with you.

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20194:37 pm

WINNER: Best Young Actor/Actress – Elsie Fisher, Eighth Grade

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20194:38 pm

Elsie Fisher thanks the critics who gave her the awards and “my parents and of course Bo Burnham! I didn’t prepare much….”

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20194:41 pm

The acceptance speech line to beat tonightis Elsie Fisher’s “Wow, this is real cool. As someone with anxiety,it’s really fun to be on the stage right now.”

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20194:41 pm

Burnham and Fisher made quite a lethal combo — Fisher scored a Globes nom and also a Spirit Award nom.

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20194:42 pm

Well Fisher plays a girl with anxiety so I guess it’s fitting…..

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20194:43 pm

Burnham and Fisher tonight….

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20194:44 pm

Taye Diggs: “I’m not trying to be Mary Poppins! I’m thinking sequel you know”. This is a reference to his cape and hat combo methinks

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20194:45 pm

Here’s Angela Bassett presenting – she’s been killing it in 9-1-1 as a cop lately…

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20194:46 pm

WINNER: Best Supporting Actor – Mahershala Ali, Green Book

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20194:47 pm

Another Golden Globes repeat. Green Book won the Best Movie – Musical or Comedy there as well.

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20194:48 pm

Ali dedicates his win to Kris Bowers: “I love you my brother!”

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20194:49 pm

WINNER: Best Supporting Actress – Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20194:50 pm

Nicole Kidman is on her feet applauding Regina King

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20194:50 pm

I guess I’m gonna be the guy who is gonna note all the Globes repeats tonight.

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20194:50 pm

“This movie is just absolutely amazing so let me just settle myself. Thank you god, thank you my family and thank you Barry Jenkins. Respect!” King says,

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20194:51 pm

“I’m hearing the planes and it’s messing me up it’s like it’s music playing!” King says, getting a laugh. We are at the Santa Monica airport…..

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20194:52 pm

King adds, “In the words of James Baldwin, we can make America what America must become!”

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20194:52 pm

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20194:55 pm

Jake Gyllenhaal originally went for the rights to Beale St, but the family gave it to Jenkins with his spec script instead…

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20194:56 pm

King comes backstage and all the press applaud her and beseige her with cameras

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20194:56 pm

She sees the live feed on TV with Sarah Silverman wearing a ‘Bird Box’ blindfold and says “that’s hilarous!”

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20194:58 pm

“This has been quite amazing week…I’m a busy chick but I take it all and am grateful for it”, she tells the press backstage.

“It feels like taboo to talk about about it”, she says of the Oscars.

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20194:58 pm

WINNER: Best Sci-Fi or Horror Film – A Quiet Place

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20195:00 pm

“Where we are right now as a society, all the life traumas we experience, no matter what race you are, what gender you are we get through them with the support of family and with self-love” King says holding tight to her award.

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20195:01 pm

Catching up on pre-show winners now…

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20195:01 pm

John Krazinski: “I don’t know what’s going on now — I blacked out. Thank you to all the kindness shown to this film.”

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20195:03 pm

Sarah Silverman pops backstage to take some photos and yells, “Come on, I came back here for some privacy!” cracking everyone up.

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20195:05 pm

Also previously announced:

WINNERS:

Best Supporting Actor in a Limited Series – Ben Whishaw, A Very English Scandal

Best Supporting Actress in a Limited Series – Patricia Clarkson, Sharp Objects

Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series – Henry Winkler, Barry

Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series- Alex Borstein, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series – Noah Emmerich – The Americans

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series –  Thandie Newton, Westworld

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20195:06 pm

Viola Davis names winner of the #SeeHer Award: Claire Foy.

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20195:07 pm

Another pre-show winner:

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20195:07 pm

Ben Wishaw backstage talks about his Globes comments backstage last Sunday being able to play gay or straight regardless

“No one’s reacted to me,” he laughs. “I’ve no idea…I should be really clear, I really just think it should be equal for everybody. Of course I want to see gay actors playing gay roles, but I think straight actors should also play gay roles, whoever is right for the part, I think it must just be an even situation, that seems to me to be a good idea.”

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20195:11 pm

Claire Foy: “In preparation for this evening I watched Viola when she received awards. Don’t ever do that. You end up watching five hours of acceptance speeches and realize how eloquent and profound Viola is.”

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20195:13 pm

John Krasinski, Emily Blunt, co-star Millicent Simmons and producers come backstage.

“I feel bad for the person writing that one! Krasinski says of the sequel to ‘A Quiet Place’. “I don’t feel pressure because it’s something that I wasn’t expecting to do…we totally understand why it would be a sequel I wasn’t expecting to do it…most sequels have a hero or villain coming back…we have the exact opposite experience.”
When asked about being brutal with the characters in the last film, Krasinski says, “Spoiler alert jeez! The things that always stick with me are the beautiful moments and the things that could happen in real life.”

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20195:13 pm

More Claire Foy: “I accept this award as encouragement to myself, to hopefully be brave enough to see myself and hopefully understand and see others, and help others to see themselves.”

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20195:14 pm

Patricia Clarkson is backstage! “I did win! Does anyone remember?”

“Oh there is an award? I was a table I thought it might be my bottle of Moet, I didn’t know!”

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20195:16 pm

“I feel like Vanna White” Clarkson says. In future, she says she’ll be looking for “everything I haven’t just done…something new, something shocking, something that generally excites me….oh god I just took a breath for the first time in two hours.”

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20195:17 pm

Host Taye Diggs, working the audience, asks Angela Bassett: I’m wondering if I can get my groove back. It’s been 20 years.”

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20195:18 pm

WINNER: Best Acting Ensemble – The Favourite

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20195:20 pm

Cast of The Favourite did not show up to pick up the win for Best Acting Ensemble. The hall was told they were otherwise engaged “in a palace duck race”

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20195:20 pm

Claire Foy comes backstage smiling ear-to-ear and being told to turn her award around for the photos. Asked where she keeps her awards, she says, “My mum has one, I have a few, and one’s in the toilet, not down the toilet, just in the toilet.”

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20195:20 pm

The Favourite had the most noms for any film going into the night — 14

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20195:23 pm

More pre-show kudos:

WINNERS:

Best Foreign Language Film – Roma

Best Original Screenplay – Paul Schrader, First Reformed

Best Adapted Screenplay – Barry Jenkins, If Beale Street Could Talk

Best Animated Series – BoJack Horesman (Netflix)

Best Movie Made For Television – Jesus Christ Superstar Live In Concert (NBC)

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20195:24 pm

Lady Gaga comes backstage and smiles in the glare of a hundred camera flashes (she’s used to it).

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20195:26 pm

#SeeHer Award winner Claire Foy with presenter Viola Davis, who won the first award two years ago. Gal Gadot won last year….

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20195:28 pm

WINNER: Best Actor In Limited Series Or Made For TV Movie – Darren Criss, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20195:30 pm

“I didn’t hold it the right way did I?” Gaga says of her award.

“I will definitely continue acting,” Gaga says backstage. “I love acting. I loved acting on AHS as the Countess for Ryan Murphy and I loved acting in A Star is Born for Bradley Cooper, and I want to continue to do more but I am a bit spoiled I have had some fantastic directors and visionaries…I will also continue to do music..I also have dreams of scoring for film.”

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20195:31 pm

Eugene Levy and Catherine O’Hara help the critics out, writing reviews for them about their first at bat as presenters:
-Unflinching in their first presentation of an awards together.
-45 rollicking seconds,
-A warm, human, feel-good piece of work
-Levy and O’Hara are a revelation
-These two are black tie magic.

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20195:32 pm

“I was very nervous{at my screen test] and I remember very vividly that Bradley requested I have no makeup on for a film test and I did my ‘no makeup makeup…we filmed it in my house and I came downstairs and Bradley said, “Can I have a makeup wipe?”…but it was not just an outward transformation, there was an inner transformation as well.”

“I would be very happy and lucky to work with him again,” she says of Cooper.”As far as future collaborations I guess that’s going to stay secret in a lockbox somewhere.”

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20195:32 pm

WINNER (TIE): Best Actress In Limited Series Or Made For TV Movie – Amy Adams, Sharp ObjectsPatricia Arquette, Escape at Dannemora

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20195:33 pm

Arquette and Criss are repeat winners from the Globes, where Arquette beat Adams in the same category (awkward?)

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20195:33 pm

Darren Chriss tells critics: “Thank you for this honor, especially because, statistically the critiques will not always be so generous…I apologize for future lackluster performances.

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20195:37 pm

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20195:37 pm

Barry Jenkins comes backstage.
“Making it was difficult,” he says of Beale St. “I’ve always been a big fan of James Baldwin….what happened to us on Moonlight happened and I felt it was appropriate to spin that capital and bring James Baldwin to a wider audience.”

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20195:39 pm

Amy Adams insists she wants the second winner in the tie announced and brought up on stage after which she and Patricia Arquette deliver an acceptance speech chorus. Maybe most poignantly, Patricia Arquette thanked Ben Stiller who, she said removed “the yoke” she said she has “been wearing my whole career: “Am I likeable.” She said she was grateful for the opportunity to play a sexual character as a full-figured woman “and have it not be a fetish or a joke.”

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20195:40 pm

WINNER: Best Actress In a Comedy Movie – Olivia Colman, The Favourite

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20195:41 pm

WINNER: Best Actor In a Comedy Movie – Christian Bale, Vice

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20195:41 pm

John Legend and his Jesus Christ Superstar Live cast and producers come backstage and instead of giving an interview, Legend says “Hi baby” to wife Chrissy Teigen, who’s waiting to one side. “it’s an honor” she jokes.

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20195:41 pm

Bale and Colman won at the Globes, where Bale had a rippin’ acceptance speech. Can he top it?

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20195:43 pm

Presenter Ben Stiller reminded the hall the cast of ‘Favourite’ was not in the room, but that he was sure Colman would want to thank the crew and cast “and those bunnies she had such a great relationship with.”

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20195:43 pm

Patricia Arquette and Amy Adams, who tied for the win in their category, pose for photos in quick succession. “I think my show’s up next” Arquette says anxiously, before rushing off.

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20195:45 pm

WINNER: Best Comedy Movie – Crazy Rich Asians (Warner Bros)

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20195:46 pm

Stiller’s been riffing on Best Editing category but announcing the comedy categories. Wonder if that’s a nudge for the craft categories that didn’t make the cut for the telecast….

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20195:50 pm

‘Vice’s Christian Bale: “I guess we’ve been put in a comedy haven’t we?.. It’s really a tragedy!”
He gets big applause for that.
He also thanked America which, he said, “has been so generous to me” and gave thanks to “Louis Armstrong “because why not? Eveyrone should thank Louis Armstrong!”

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20195:53 pm

Nina Jacobson, accepting win for ‘Crazy Rich Asians’ noted that when she started in the business her bosses told her that white dudes can’t be counted on to identify with anyone who doesn’t look or live like they do.”
“You don’t have to be crazy rich or Asian to relate” to ‘Crazy Rich Asians,’ “but you have to be Asian to star in it,” she said, adding “Representation is power.”

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20195:54 pm

More offstage winners announced:

WINNERS:

Best Cinematography – Alfonso Cuaron, Roma

Best Production Design – Hannah Beachler, Jay Hart, Black Panther

Best Visual Effects – Black Panther

Best Editor – Tom Cross, First Man

Best Costume Designer – Ruth Carter, Black Panther

Best Hair And Makeup – Vice

Best Score – Justin Hurwitz, First Man

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20195:56 pm

The entire Crazy Rich Asians group comes backstage and the mood is ebullient! “Good temperature in here y’all” Awkwafina jokes, since it’s pretty hot back here.

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20195:58 pm

“Oh my god” Constance Chu and Gemma Chan say together excitedly, as all the women gather together to hold the CRA award. Michelle Yeoh jokes “I’ll put my grubby hands on it!”

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20196:01 pm

The Crazy Rich Asians group seem genuinely so surprised and delirious. Maybe because they missed out at the Globes and Critics’ Choice is a good Oscar indicator of sorts? Much excitement here

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20196:01 pm

Chuck Lorre, this year’s creative achievement winner, tells critics: “For the last 25 years, with few exceptions, you have consistently chided and castigated me, and pointed out where my instincts are wrong. I guess this means you give up.”

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20196:05 pm

Lorre, who noted he first tried a career as a songwriter, told the audience, “Maybe I dodn’t have the talent to write ‘Hey Jude'” but he was certain he had the talent to write “Hey Jude why aren’t you wearing any pants.”

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20196:07 pm

WINNER: Best Actor In A Comedy Series – Bill Hader, Barry

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20196:07 pm

Hader not in the house tonight.

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20196:08 pm

WINNER: Best Actress In A Comedy Series – Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20196:10 pm

This goes with Alex Borstein’s win earlier tonight in Supporting Actress. Brosnahan also won at the Globes, and marks a repeat win here.

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20196:10 pm

Rachel Brosnahan: “I want to continue to thank Amy Sherman-Palladino and Dan Palladino. I will be thanking you guys for as long as I live.”

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20196:13 pm

WINNER: Best Director – Alfonso Cuaron, Roma

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20196:15 pm

Alfonso Cuaron: “I have to be brief because actors are coming after me…They may need more time.”

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20196:19 pm

WINNER: Best Actor In A Drama Series – Matthew Rhys, The Americans

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20196:20 pm

WINNER: Best Actress In A Drama Series – Sandra Oh, Killing Eve

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20196:21 pm

Rhys not at the show tonight, but Oh is. She also won a Globe for the role in the BBC America series.

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20196:21 pm

This is fantastic!” Oh says after literally jogging up to the stage. “Killing Eve is about the female psyche,” she says, thanking everyone involved, but especially her co-star Jodie Comer. “There is one person who is my obsession, my other half, the person who has pushed me to the limit and that is the incredible Jodie Comer.”

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20196:23 pm

Sandra Oh: “Killing Eve is about the female psyche and I want to thank the people who have been interested in examining this world. “

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20196:28 pm

WINNER: Best Limited Series – The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (FX)

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20196:31 pm

Cuaron backstage, who has much to toast to tonight: wins for Best Director, Best Cinematography and Best Foreign Film….

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20196:33 pm

Tom Rob Smith paid tribute to the “genius of Gianni Versace” saying “He was a pioneer in fashion, but also one of the first prominent out gay men. I feel a personal debt to him standing here.” Smith called it “one of the great lies of today that equality, and the struggle for equality, has comes at anyone else’s expense.”

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20196:33 pm

WINNER: Best Drama Series – The Americans (FX)

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20196:35 pm

The Americans EP’s: “Thank you, thank you critics! We remember when it was just you and us.”

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20196:36 pm

WINNER: Best Comedy Series – The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon)

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20196:40 pm

Amy Sherman-Palladino: “Rachel Brosnahan forgot to thank the critics and she’s very sorry and very guilty. She’s adorable — forgive her.”

“My mother’s birthday is today. Happy Birthday Mom! The flowers were very expensive!”

“Amazon, we love you! The Season 3 budget is going to be coming to you this week – Remember this!”

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20196:44 pm

WINNER (TIE): Best Actress In A Movie – Glenn Close, The Wife and….

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20196:46 pm

… WINNER (TIE): Best Actress In A Movie – Lady Gaga, A Star Is Born

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20196:46 pm

Glenn Close: I am so thrilled a tie!…The world pits us against each other in this profession. And I know, from the other women in this category, we celebrate each other and we are proud to be in this room together.”

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20196:46 pm

… WINNER (TIE): Best Actress In A Movie – Lady Gaga, A Star Is Born

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20196:47 pm

Second award for Gaga tonight after winning the night’s first televised category Best Song.

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20196:48 pm

Amy Sherman-Palladino backstage says “I want to see if Bradley Cooper wins!” Is that next?”

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20196:51 pm

“STAY!” the audience roared at Glenn Close as the second winner in her category is named, Lady Gaga. “My mother and Glenn are good friends – I’m so very happy you won this evening.
“I am so honored by this. I went to places in my mind and my heart that I did not know existed.”
“It’s okay I can still do this with a piano background,” she joked as the piano begins to play letting her know she’s gone beyond her allotted time.

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20196:52 pm

WINNER: Best Actor In A Movie – Christian Bale, Vice

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20196:52 pm

Bale joins the list of double winners tonight (right after Lady Gaga did).

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20196:55 pm

Christian Bale: “I’ve always admired people who wiling to make a fool of themselves and that’s what I think acting is all about. Embracing humiliation – that’s what it’s all about. I’ve enjoyed it so much…When you can only do one thing in your life it’s great to be recognized for it.”

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20196:57 pm

Taye Diggs just asked the critics to stand so they can be acknowledged for the night. No spitballs that we could see.

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20196:57 pm

WINNER: Best Picture – Roma

Lisa de Moraes January 13, 20197:01 pm

Accepting the award for best picture, Roma director Alfonso Cuaron said, pointedly of the cast and producers standing behind him, “This bunch of Mexican are not as bad as sometimes they are portrayed.”
He thanked Netflix for “bringing this film to the people in the mainstream.”

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20197:01 pm

Glenn Close backstage says, “To even be in the room even is a huge honor. I’m so thrilled I’m a tie with Gaga, it just seems right, it seems cool…how do you choose?”

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20197:03 pm

Asked how she feels about the Oscars, Close said, “If we don’t win, whatever happens is going to happen, I don’t know.” She plans to produce and write another script though.

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20197:05 pm

On the subject of equal pay, Close adds, “If an actress has clout then she can demand equal pay. I hope we’re coming to a time when you don’t have to depend on clout, that it’s just the accepted way of doing business.”

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20197:08 pm

Talking about what this film meant to her, Close said, “I’m wearing my grandmother’s wedding ring. She was married in 1920 and she again was a really fascinating, original, interesting woman. After she died, Close learned her grandmother had wanted to be an actress, “but she wasn’t allowed, so here she is,” she says gesturing to her award.

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20197:15 pm

Gaga and Glenn Close come backstage again together. “This dress is a situation,” Gaga says, gathering herself. “Ladies and gentlemen, Glenn Close!” She calls out to the room.

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20197:22 pm

Lady Gaga backstage tells the story of how her mom and Glenn Close went out to lunch and went on a tour oh her mom’s old apartment after a stranger let them in.

Antonia Blyth January 13, 20197:23 pm

“I am truly blessed,” Gaga says. “And I am in shock this evening to be honored as both a musician and an actress, I cannot tell you what it means to me. It was my greatest dream to be an actor and I gave it up but here I am now with Glenn Close, she’s legendary. I couldn’t be more proud to be here standing with her this evening. Quite frankly I’m a bit speechless.”

Patrick Hipes January 13, 20197:35 pm

That should wrap up the night for us. Thanks for following along.