Donald Trump was receptive to the idea of appearing on Seth Meyers-hosted Late Night back in 2015. But only if Meyer apologized on-air for his performance at the White House Correspondents Dinner four years earlier, in which he had torched Trump, who was in the audience.
Meyers declined to do so, after getting word of the demand via Trump’s personal attorney Michael Cohen, who told him it was non-negotiable, Meyers told Politico’ Off Message podcast this week.
Meyers invited Trump to his NBC late-night show after running into him at the Saturday Night Live 40th anniversary special in February of 2015. That was few months before the real estate developer/NBC reality TV star’s presidential campaign launched.
Jimmy Kimmel: Rudy Giuliani Giving Unhinged Interviews So Donald Trump Looks 'Normal'
In 2015, Meyers did not think Trump would actually follow through on his threat to run for the White House. Meyers felt the same back in 2011 at the White House Correspondents Dinner– and said so: “Trump has been saying he will run for president as a Republican, which is surprising, since I just assumed he was running as a joke,” Meyers famously joked at that 2011 dinner, where Trump sat at the Washington Post’s table as the paper’s guest. Being a tall guy, C-Span camera easily spotted Trump in the crowd and kept throwing its camera over to a shot of him, every time Meyers made a joke about Trump. Which he did, a lot:
– Just look at the options the Republicans are kicking around [for the 2012 race]: Palin, Huckabee, Gingrich, Trump. That doesn’t sound like a field of candidates; it sounds like Season 13 of ‘Dancing with the Stars’.
– Donald Trump often appears on Fox, which is ironic, because a fox often appears on Donald Trump’s head.
– If you’re at The Washington Post table with Trump and you can’t finish your entrée, don’t worry. The fox will eat it.
– Gary Busey said recently Donald Trump would make a great president. Of course he said the same thing about an old rust birdcage he found.
– Donald Trump owns the Miss USA pageant, which is great for Republicans, because it will streamline their search for a vice president.
– Donald Trump said recently he has a great relationship with “the Blacks” but unless “the Blacks” are a family of white people I bet he’s mistaken.
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.