The Tribeca Film Festival has finalized its juries for the 2018 fest, two days before it kicks off its 17th edition. Names including Martha Coolidge, Norman Reedus, André Holland, Ray Liotta, Chris Messina, Zosia Mamet, Sasheer Zamata, Alyssa Reiner, Josh Charles, Haifaa Al Mansour and Lakeith Stanfield have been set to oversee the features, shorts, Storyscapes section and awards categories.
The fest launches Wednesday night with the world premiere of the Gilda Radner documentary Love, Gilda. Tribeca runs April 18-29 in New York City.
Here’s the full list of jurors:
Feature Film Competition Categories
The jurors for the 2018 US Narrative Competition section are:
- Justin Bartha: Actor Justin Bartha has co-starred in two be-loved billion dollar franchises: The Hangover and National Treasure. Some of Bartha’s other notable film credits include White Girl, Holy Rollers, Dark Horse, The Rebound, opposite Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Failure to Launch with Matthew McConaughey and Sarah Jessica Parker. Upcoming films include Nick Hamm’s Driven and Collin Friesen’s Sorry for Your Loss. Bartha can currently be seen co-starring in the acclaimed drama, The Good Fight for CBS All Access.
- Bilge Ebiri: Bilge Ebiri is the senior film critic for the Village Voice.
- Jenny Lumet: Jenny Lumet is the author of Rachel Getting Married for which she received the 2008 New York Film Critics Circle Award, 2008 Toronto Film Critics Association Award, and 2008 Washington D.C. Film Critics Association Award and NAACP Image Award.
- Chris Messina: Actor Chris Messina will next be seen in Sharp Objects with director Jean-Marc Valle opposite Amy Adams for HBO.
- Lakeith Stanfield: Actor Lakeith Stanfield stars in Netflix’s Come Sunday opposite Chiwetel Eijofor, premiering April 13th on Netflix and in Boots Riley’s Sundance hit Sorry to Bother You, out July 6th from Annapurna Films. On the small screen, Lakeith has gained critical acclaim for his role as ‘Darius’ in Donald Glover and FX’s series Atlanta. He is currently shooting The Girl in the Spider’s Web opposite Claire Foy, out November 2018.
The jurors for the 2018 International Narrative Competition section are:
- Florence Almozini: Florence Almozini is currently the Associate Director of Programming at the Film Society of Lincoln Center.
- Martha Coolidge: Martha Coolidge is an award winning director, and the only female president of the DGA, so far. Her work ranges from Indies to studio films, TV and documentaries. She has been on the Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Pictures, the DGA, the AFI and has directed many actors to Academy, Golden Globe, Emmy and Spirit Awards.
- André Holland: Andre Holland’s film credits include Moonlight (Academy Award® for Best Picture), Selma (Academy Award Nominee), 42, Miracle at St. Anna, and the acclaimed 2008 independent film Sugar. He’ll next be seen in the Stephen King inspired series, Castle Rock (Hulu/Bad Robot), and can currently be seen in Ava DuVernay’s adaptation of Madeleine L’Engle’s A Wrinkle in Time alongside Mindy Kaling, Reese Witherspoon, and Oprah Winfrey.
- Ray Liotta: Ray Liotta has become a prominent figure in entertainment appearing in film, TV, Broadway, and even lending his talents to production. He currently stars on the NBC drama Shades of Blue as Lieutenant Matt Wozniak.
- Haifaa Al Mansour: Haifaa Al Mansour is the first female filmmaker from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the director of Wadjda, the first full-length film ever shot inside the Kingdom.
The jurors for the 2018 Documentary Competition section are:
- Dan Cogan: Dan Cogan is the Academy Award-winning and BAFTA Award-nominated producer of Icarus and the Executive Director and Co-Founder of Impact Partners, a fund and advisory service for investors and philanthropists who seek to promote social change through film.
- Kirsten Johnson: Kirsten Johnson is a cinematographer and director. Her most recent film Camerperson premiered at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival, was released by the Criterion Collection, named one of the “Top Ten Films of 2016” by The New York Times and The Washington Post, and was shortlisted for the 2017 Academy Awards.
- Brett Morgen: Brett Morgen is an award-winning director, producer, writer and editor.
The jurors for the 2018 Best New Narrative Director Competition section are:
- Josh Charles: Josh Charles is an Emmy, Golden Globe and SAG award nominated film, television and stage actor.
- Joshua Leonard: Joshua Leonard is a filmmaker, writer, and actor. His notable credits as an actor include the lo-fi sensation The Blair Witch Project, the Independent Spirit Award winning Humpday and Steven Soderbergh’s Unsane which was recently released in theaters. His credits as a director include The Lie (Sundance 2011) and the upcoming Behold My Heart.
- Zosia Mamet: Zosia Mamet has established herself as one of the film and television industry’s most exciting young talents as both an actress and producer.
The jurors for the 2018 Albert Maysles Award (Best New Documentary Director Award) are:
- Nelson George: Nelson George is an author, cultural critic, and filmmaker who moves between multiple disciplines.
- Linda Knowlton: Linda Knowlton is an Emmy-nominated director and producer, working in documentary and scripted feature films, as well as in television.
- Elvira Lind: Elvira Lind created, filmed and executive produced the TV series Twiz and Tuck launched on Viceland in 2017. Her second feature documentary, Bobbi Jene, won three awards at Tribeca 2017, including best documentary, and opened in cinemas in the U.S. in September the same year.
- Basil Tsiokos: Basil Tsiokos is the Director of Programming for DOC NYC, and the Nantucket Film Festival, and a Programming Associate at Sundance.
- Derek Waters: Derek Waters is the creator and host of Emmy-winning Drunk History on Comedy Central. Waters has also earned an Emmy-nomination for directing.
Short Film Competition Categories
The jurors for the 2018 Narrative Short Competition section are:
- Steve Aoki: Steve Aoki is a two-time Grammy-nominated international producer/DJ, entrepreneur, philanthropist, and founder of the trendsetting record label, events/lifestyle company and apparel line Dim Mak.
- Amy Kaufman: Amy Kaufman is a staff writer at the Los Angeles Times, where she has covered film, celebrity and pop culture since 2009. She is also the author of New York Times best seller Bachelor Nation: Inside the World of America’s Favorite Guilty Pleasure.
- Sheila Nevins: Sheila Nevins is the former President of HBO Documentary Films and executive producer on upcoming projects. She has been responsible for overseeing the development and production of more than 1,000 documentaries for HBO, HBO2, and Cinemax.
- Alex Pettyfer: Alex Pettyfer has established himself as a leading man by starring in such films as I Am Number Four and Magic Mike. He will soon make his debut as a feature film director when his movie, Back Roads, debuts at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 20th.
- Norman Reedus: Norman Reedus is an immensely talented actor, filmmaker, and artist with a gift for taking on challenging roles and bringing dynamic characters to life on screen.
- Alysia Reiner: Alysia Reiner, actress and producer, is best known as “Fig” on Orange is the New Black and won a SAG award as part of the amazing ensemble cast.
- Ondi Timoner: Ondi Timoner has the rare distinction of winning the Grand Jury Prize at the Sundance Film Festival twice for Dig! and We Live In Public. Her sixth feature documentary, Brand: A Second Coming, opened SXSW ’15 and is premiering her first scripted film, Mapplethorpe, which she wrote, directed and produced here at Tribeca.
The jurors for the 2018 Short Documentary and Student Visionary Competitions section are:
- Sapphire: Sapphire is the author of the bestselling novels The Kid and Push which was made into the Academy Award-winning movie Precious.
- Joe Daniels: Joe Daniels is the former President & CEO of the National September 11th Memorial & Museum and as of April 2018 will become the CEO of the as-of-yet-unbuilt National Medal of Honor Museum in Charleston, SC.
- Amy Kaufman: Amy Kaufman is an executive who shepherded productions for Good Machine International and Focus Features including Y Tu Mamá También, 21 Grams, Lost in Translation, and The Constant Gardener.
- Susan Lacy: Susan Lacy is an award-winning director and producer. She recently premiered Spielberg and Jane Fonda in Five Acts – both for HBO Documentary Films, with her production company Pentimento Productions. Susan is also the creator and former executive producer of PBS’ American Masters.
- James Steyer: James Steyer is the Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Common Sense Media, the nation’s leading independent nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a powerful voice for kids and families in the 21st Century.
The jurors for the 2018 Storyscapes Competition are:
- Myriam Achard: Myriam Achard has been a Director of PR & Communications at the Phi Centre since 2012 where she is also responsible for the VR Garden’s programming and the immersive/interactive exhibits.
- Marcie Jastrow: Marcie Jastrow is an industry veteran with over 20 years in the entertainment business. She currently serves as the SVP of Immersive Media at Technicolor, as well as the Head of the Technicolor Experience Center (TEC), dedicated to bringing artists, technologists, and partners together to build the future of immersive media.
- Nicholas Thompson: Nicholas Thompson is the Editor-in-Chief of WIRED. Under his leadership, WIRED has launched a successful paywall, a Snapchat channel, and an AMP Stories edition; it has also been nominated for National Magazine Awards in design and feature writing.
Nora Ephron Award
The jurors for the 2018 Nora Ephron Award are:
- Joanna Gleason: Joanna Gleason has appeared in 15 Broadway and Off-Broadway shows, winning the Tony for Best Actress in Stephen Sondheim’s Into the Woods.
- Rebecca Keegan: Rebecca Keegan is a Vanity Fair Hollywood Correspondent who reports on the film and TV industries and writes com’s HWD Weekly newsletter.
- Sasheer Zamata: Sasheer Zamata is a comedian, actress, writer and four season cast member on Saturday Night Live. She will be appearing in the new NBC pilot So Close, and also will be featured in Amy Schumer’s new movie I Feel Pretty, which comes out in April.
Tribeca X Award
The jurors for the 2018 Tribeca X Award are:
- Brian Braiker: Brian Braiker is the Editor-in-Chief of Ad Age and prior to joining the magazine was executive editor at Digiday for four years.
- Bonin Bough: Bonin Bough is one of the foremost-awarded marketing executives in his field, the producer and host of The Cleveland Hustles, the author of TXT Me (646) 759-1837 and Chairman of Bonin Ventures.
- Zachary Heinzerling: Zachary Heinzerling is a filmmaker based in Brooklyn, NY who directed the 2014 Oscar-Nominated Documentary feature, Cutie and the Boxer.