The 29th GLAAD Media Awards named NBC’s This Is Us as outstanding drama and Disney’s Andi Mack as outstanding kids & family programming as two highlights of its annual event, held Thursday night at the Beverly Hilton hotel in Los Angeles.
Recipients were announced in 12 of this year’s 25 media categories. The GLAAD Media Awards recognize and honor media for their fair, accurate, and inclusive representations of the LGBTQ community and the issues that affect their lives. They also fund GLAAD’s work to amplify stories from the LGBTQ community that build support for equality.
GLAAD Media Award nominees were published, released, or broadcast between January 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017.
GLAAD Media Awards Names Producer Ryan Murphy For Vito Russo Honor
GLAAD announced a Special Recognition Award for Jay-Z’s song and music video Smile, featuring his mother, Gloria Carter, who used the song to come out as a lesbian, and a Special Recognition Award to the animated short film In A Heartbeat.
Celebrities sported blue “&” pins for GLAAD’s Together moment – representing GLAAD’s work on intersectional issues, including immigration, racial justice, women’s rights, and LGBTQ acceptance. The organization claimed the symbol represents the power of solidarity and great accomplishments that occur when marginalized community groups – including women, Muslims, immigrants, and LGBTQ people – resist together.
The list of GLAAD Media Awards presented on stage and the individuals that accepted the awards:
- Vanguard Award: Britney Spears [presented by Ricky Martin]
- Stephen F. Kolzak Award: Jim Parsons [presented by Ryan Murphy]
- Outstanding Drama Series: This Is Us (NBC) [accepted by: Denis O’Hare, Jon Huertas, and Chris Sullivan
- Outstanding Individual Episode (in a series without a regular LGBTQ character): “Thanksgiving” Master of None (Netflix) [accepted by Lena Waithe]
- Outstanding Kids & Family Programming winner: Andi Mack (Disney Channel)
- Outstanding Comedy Series: Brooklyn Nine-Nine (FOX) [accepted by: Chelsea Peretti, Stephanie Beatriz, and Melissa Fumero]
Other award recipients announced :
- Outstanding Film – Limited Release A Fantastic Woman (Sony Pictures Classics)
- Outstanding TV Movie or Limited Series: When We Rise (ABC)
- Outstanding Comic Book: Black Panther: World of Wakanda (Marvel Comics)
- Outstanding Daily Drama: The Bold and the Beautiful (CBS)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: “Why Bisexual Men Are Still Fighting to Convince Us They Exist” by Samantha Allen (Splinter)
- Outstanding Blog: TransGriot (transgriot.blogspot.com)
- Outstanding Scripted Television Series: Las Chicas Del Cable (Netflix)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism: “Tres Hemanitos Para Dos Papás” por Jacqueline García (laopinion.com)
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.