“What’s your favorite underrated movie?” It’s a harder question than it may seem but we got a lot of great answers when we asked the filmmakers who came into our SXSW Studio at this year’s festival.
Emily Mortimer, there to premiere Write When You Get Work, promoted one of her father’s films Bunny Lake is Missing. She thought it had been a forgotten movie until she worked with Martin Scorsese, who confessed he is obsessed with the film.
John Krasinski, who was at the fest to premiere his much buzzed about film A Quiet Place, talked about how Noah Baumbach’s Kicking and Screaming inspired the kind of “unplayed comedy” that he drew from for The Office. And Edie Falco discussed how the overlooked Hostiles renewed her faith in moviemaking and acting, saying “I left [the theater] excited about what I chose to do a long time ago and… thought anew that it could be meaningful”
Easily the most mentioned film was The Florida Project. So many filmmakers mentioned the Sean Baker film that we couldn’t fit in all of the recommendations into our video above. Andrea Arnold’s American Honey was also mentioned several times, as was TBS’s Search Party — the creators of which were promoting a short film at the fest (by the way, they too recommended American Honey).
To hear all of the recommended films from Milo Ventimiglia, Jeffrey Wright, Olivia Wilde, Josh Brolin, Bill Hader and more, check out the video above.
Here’s a complete list of the actors, directors, and stars featured in our supercut:
- Shana Feste for Boundaries
- Cress Williams for Black Lightning
- Emily Blunt for A Quiet Place
- Jeffrey Wright for Westworld
- Edie Falco for Outside In
- Emily Mortimer for Write When You Get To Work
- John Krasinski for A Quiet Place
- Nick Offerman for Hearts Beat Loud
- Taylor Allen for Chappaquiddick
- Jordan Horowitz and Julia Hart for Fast Color
- Jordan Firstman for Men Don’t Whisper/Search Party
- Olivia Wilde for A Vigilante
- Abbi Jacobson for 6 Balloons
- Maya Kazan for The Unicorn
- Kay Cannon for Blockers
- Josh Brolin for The Legacy of a Whitetail Deer Hunter
- Milo Ventimiglia for This Is Us
- Bill Hader for Barry
- Millicent Simmonds for A Quiet Place
- Jason Blum of Blumhouse Productions
- Leigh Whannell and Logan Marshall-Green for Upgrade
- Jackie van Beek and Madeleine Sami for The Breaker Upperers
- Yeardley Smith for All Square
- Elle Fanning for Galveston
Interviews by Anthony D’Alessandro, Dino Ray-Ramos, Amanda N’Duka and Matt Grobar. Videos were shot and edited by David Janove and Andrew Merrill. The Deadline Studio at SXSW 2018 is presented by MoviePass.
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.