Already being investigated or sued in a number of jurisdictions over allegations of sexual harassment or sexual assault, Harvey Weinstein today found himself potentially moving one step closer to a courtroom as the LAPD sent three cases to Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office.
“Three cases of sexual abuse were submitted to us by the Los Angeles police and they are under review,” confirmed spokesman Greg Risling in Jackie Lacey’s office.
With the case handed over by the LAPD on February 1, there is no timeline on when that review will be completed or what outcomes it may have besides prosecution. Though there is no longer a statute of limitations on such sex crimes in California that only applies to acts that occurred after the beginning of 2017. Otherwise, the previous 10-year status period still is in effect, as is likely the reality in these three cases.
While the LAPD would not comment on the submissions today, a law enforcement source told Deadline that the department is “very confident these are solid and actionable cases.”
Late last year and without ever mentioning Weinstein by name, now retiring LAPD Chief Charlie Beck said to expect ” some progress on the more high-profile” sexual assault cases in early 2018
Representatives for the much accused and disgraced Weinstein did not respond to request for comment on the matter now before the L.A. County D.A. As allegations mounted after the New York Times’ October 5 expose of the Oscar winning producer apparent decades of sexual misconduct, Weinstein drafted criminal attorney Blair Berk on October 11 last year to take point for him. Weinstein has consistently denied that he was involved in any non-consensual activity despite the dozens and dozens of women claiming otherwise.
Currently, the LAPD, the NYPD, UK police and the Beverly Hills police are all investigating claims of rape and otherwise against the Pulp Fiction producer. The BHPD submitted a duo of cases to Lacey’s office themselves in January.