Another day, another $20M-plus for Disney/Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi at the box office. On Wednesday the Rian Johnson-directed movie earned $21.5M according to Disney taking its domestic running total to $444.9M. The movie will easily surpass the half billion mark by Dec. 31, as well as $1 billion worldwide with many expecting Episode VIII to knock Disney’s own Beauty and the Beast ($504M) out of the top spot to become the highest grossing movie of 2017 at the domestic B.O. Last Jedi only has $59.1M left before it clicks past Beauty and the Beast. Industry projections believe that Last Jedi ends 2017 with $550M, which would be 35% ahead of Rogue One at that point in time and completely ahead of that spinoff’s final U.S./Canada total of $532M, and 16% behind Force Awakens‘ year end 2015 take of $652M.
Meanwhile, Sony’s Jumanji:Welcome to the Jungle became the 30th release after Paramount’s Daddy’s Home 2 to clear $100M at this year’s B.O. 20th Century Fox’s Murder on the Orient Express is less than $200K away from hitting that mark to become the 31st. Last year saw 30 releases earning north of $100M (that includes pics like La La Land and Hidden Figures that originally opened limited in 2016), while 2015 saw 29 titles clear the century mark. Who says that the theatrical business is waning?
Dec. 27 industry box office figures as of Thursday AM:
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi(DIS), 4,232 theaters / $27.7M Tues /$21.5M Wed/ Total:$444.9M/ Wk 2
- Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (SONY), 3,765 theaters / $17.1M Tues /$15.15M Wed/ Total:$104.25M/ Wk 1
- Pitch Perfect 3 (UNI), 3,447 theaters / $7.4M Tues/$6.4M Wed/Total: $40.3M/ Wk 1
- The Greatest Showman (FOX), 3,006 theaters / $5.1M Tues /$4.6M Wed/Total: $28.7M/Wk 1
- Ferdinand (FOX), 3,630 theaters (+9) / $4M Tues /$4.1M Wed/Total: $37.7M/ Wk 2
- Coco(DIS), 2,111 theaters (-1,044) / $2.9M Tues /$2.7M Wed/Total: $169.7M / Wk 5
- Downsizing (PAR), 2,668 theaters / $1.9M Tues /$1.46M Wed/Total: $11M/ Wk 1
- All The Money in the World (Sony) 2,068 theaters/ $1.76M Tues/ $1.41M Wed/Total: $5.77M/Wk 1
- Darkest Hour (FOC), 806 theaters (+722)/ $1.5M Tues /$1.38M WedT/otal: $11.3M/ Wk 5
- Father Figures (ALC/WB), 2,902 theaters / $1.4M Tues /$1M Wed/Total: $8M/ Wk 1
- The Shape of Water (FSL), 730 theaters / $1.1m Tues /$1M Wed/Total: $11M/Wk 4
Molly’s Game (STX), 271 theaters / $668k Tues /$598K Wed/Total: $2.3M/ Wk
The Post (Fox), 9 theaters / $157k Tues /$140K Wed/Total: $1M/ Wk 1
Phantom Thread (Focus), 4 theaters / $67k Tues /$58K Wed/Total: $252K/ Wk 1
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.