“Should ‘The Circus’ move forward with another season, Mark Halperin will not be a part of it,” said a Showtime spokesperson in a statement.
The network had previously said it was “reevaluating” its relationship with Halperin and the program, which has completed two seasons on Showtime.
The ax fell a day after pundit Halperin posted a lengthy apology on his social media (see it here), conceding his “aggressive and crude” behavior towards women while at ABC News. The co-host (until now) with John Heilemann on Showtime’s The Circus joined MSNBC as senior political analyst in 2010 after working for Time and Bloomberg News.
Sacha Baron Cohen On Why Trump Prompted Him To Make 'Who Is America?' & How The Show Captures American Madness -- Deadline Disruptors
Halperin said on his post yesterday that he “can never do enough to make up for the harm I caused,” and that he “will be spending time with my family and friends, as I work to make amends and contributions both large and small.”
On Wednesday, CNN reported that five women accused Halperin of sexually harassment while they worked at ABC News during the 1990s and 2000s. That number of women has since grown to more than a dozen, and The Daily Beast has reported that two more women claim their unwanted interactions with Halperin occurred as recently as 2011, after his ABC days.
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.