The executive producer of The Apprentice basically told former host Donald Trump “you’re fired” today. “Given all of the false media reports, I feel compelled to clarify a few points,” Mark Burnett said Wednesday in an illuminating statement. ” I am not now and have never been a supporter of Donald Trump’s candidacy. I am NOT ‘Pro-Trump,'” the president of MGM Television and Digital Group added. “Further, my wife and I reject the hatred, division and misogyny that has been a very unfortunate part of his campaign.”
The remarks from Burnett come amidst a growing chorus seeking the release of tapes and footage from the more than a decade that Trump was on The Apprentice. The expectation is that such tapes could contain lewd remarks and behavior demeaning to women and others similar those revealed last week in the damning Access Hollywood material from 2005 with now suspended Today co-host Billy Bush.
Revelations that aren’t coming says MGM’s long time lawyer.
“MGM, not Mark Burnett, owns The Apprentice,” noted Marvin S. Putnam of Latham & Watkins today in a statement accompanying Burnett’s. “MGM has agreements with artists across a wide spectrum of creative properties, including The Apprentice,” Putman asserted. These agreements typically contain provisions related to confidentiality and artist’s rights. MGM has every intention of complying with its agreements with artists and honoring their rights, including with respect to The Apprentice.”
This is the second time is as many days that MGM has said nothing will be released from the reality show that made Trump a TV staple, despite the calls from the likes of attorney Gloria Allred and others for some sunlight on the situation.
Late last year, MGM acquired the 45% stake it didn’t own in its United Artists Media Group joint venture with Burnett, Downey and Hearst. The Emmy wining reality producer and The Bible EP was in charge of the MGM Television and Digital Group soon after.
After hosting The Apprentice from its debut in 2004 on the Comcast-owned net, Trump was officially dumped in June 2015 after the social and political backlash from his then just launched controversial Presidential bid proved too hot for NBC. Arnold Schwarzenegger was announced in September of last year as the new host of the show. On October 8, this year, the Terminator and former Governor of California said he would not be voting for Trump on November 8.