Potential bad news for NBCUniversal? Donald Trump is blaming the Access Hollywood hot mic for catching him boasting about his fame giving him the ability to forcibly kiss and grope women with impunity.
“The microphones, I mean to be honest should, you know, should never have been on,” he said, according to a clip from an interview with global Catholic network EWTN that is scheduled to broadcast tonight, but excerpts of which were published today by the Washington Post.
It was WaPo that scooped NBC News on the 2005 Access Hollywood tape in which then-Apprentice star Trump made the lewd boast to then-Access Hollywood star Billy Bush about grabbing women by their genitalia. NBC News fired Bush, who had been promoted to Today show host in May, after the tape became public. The news division has said it only learned of the tape on Monday of that week; WaPo published its story and released the tape Friday evening, and political pundits have been wondering ever since why NBC News dragged its feet so long. NBC News published its report on the tape very soon after WaPo published its scoop.
Two days after the tape became public, at the second presidential debate, Trump dismissed his remarks as “locker room talk” and denied he’d ever done those things of which he boasted. In response, 11 women have come forward with various allegations of being groped by the GOP White House hopeful. Trump recently announced he would sue all of the women after the election. He has called the women liars, unattractive, and in cahoots with Hillary Clinton’s campaign.
Trump wife, meanwhile, has blamed Bush for her husband’s lewd remarks, saying he egged on her husband.
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.