CNN said this morning that it formally has severed ties with Donna Brazile – back on October 14. The news was revealed by the network after this morning’s WikiLeaks dump included an old email from the then-CNN contributor to Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta. The subject line: “One of the questions directed to HRC tomorrow is from a woman with a rash.” That email, dated March 5, was sent one day before CNN’s debate between Clinton and Bernie Sanders, during which Clinton was asked just such a question.
“CNN never gave Brazile access to any questions, prep material, attendee list, background information or meetings in advance of a town hall or debate,” CNN rep Lauren Pratapas said in a statement sent to media this morning. “We are completely uncomfortable with what we have learned about her interactions with the Clinton campaign while she was a CNN contributor.”
CNN Logs Fourth Demo Win For 15-Year Best; FNC Tops Cable In Total Viewers For 10th Week
CNN previously said it had suspended its relationship with Brazile temporarily while she serves as interim chair of the Democratic National Committee.
Pratapas also said in the statement: “On October 14th, CNN accepted Donna Brazile’s resignation as a CNN contributor.”
On October 11, WikiLeaks dumped another email in which Brazile, while still a CNN contributor, appeared to provide questions to Camp Clinton before a CNN town hall; back then, Brazile denied the legitimacy of the leaked email.
Brazile, meanwhile, reacted to today’s CNN announcement of the October 14 tie-cutting as though it were news to her:
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.