An electrician who was badly shocked during filming on Selma in 2014 has filed a lawsuit against Paramount Pictures and a subsidiary that supplies lighting and grip equipment for location shoots. Ronnie Sands was setting up lights at the historic Wheat Street Baptist Church in Atlanta when he was nearly killed by a jolt of electricity.
The suit was filed in Georgia State Court in June, two years after the accident, but only has come to light now. According to the suit (read it here), the accident happened because a safety feature called a micro-switch “was not operating correctly and plaintiff sustained a significant electric shock.”
The suit claims that the studio and its Paramount On Location subsidiary “owed a duty to (Sands) to provide properly functioning arc light systems” and “breached this duty by supplying an arc light system with a malfunctioning micro-switch.”
Paramount declined comment.
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.