Bill Cosby is sitting in a courtroom in Pennsylvania today trying to get criminal charges in one sexual assault case dismissed. But on the West Coast, he saw another case disappear and the possibility emerge for another deposition in yet another case.
Cosby will have to sit for at least a half-day on or before February 29 in the case of Judy Huth, L.A. Superior Court Judge Craig Karan said today in a tentative ruling. Represented by Gloria Allred, Huth claims Cosby molested her at the Playboy Mansion in 1974 when she was a minor. Cosby’s first and still-sealed seven-hour deposition from that case occurred on October 9 last year in Boston. Having filed the motion for another deposition under seal last month, Allred was in court in Santa Monica today for the hearing. “We regard the court’s order today as a complete vindication of our position,” said Allred outside the Santa Monica courthouse on Tuesday after the hearing.
Also on Tuesday, Chloe Goins filed a dismissal of her case against the actor she once called a “serial rapist.” While today’s filing (read it here) seems to indicate a settlement has been reached in the lawsuit that was first filed on October 6 last year, the “without prejudice” move means Goins could file another action in the future. This comes less than a month after the Los Angeles District Attorney’s office decided that Cosby would not not face criminal charges over the sexual assault incidents that allegedly occurred in 2008 at the Playboy Mansion. Part of the reason given by D.A. Jackie Lacey’s office was that witnesses Goins had claimed existed would not corroborate her story.
A LAPD investigation of claims by Goins, a former model, that Cosby drugged and assaulted her when she was 18 years old was handed over to the D.A on early October 1st last year.
Huth and Goins are among more than 50 women who have accused Cosby of sexually assaulting them over the decades.
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.