UPDATE, 11:40 AM: Looks like Frank Snepp’s age-discrimination battle with NBC News will not be going to trial today as scheduled. The proceedings never really started on Monday morning as L.A. Superior Court Judge Rolf Treu said he will not be overseeing the matter. A new judge is now going to be named in the case and a new start date for the trial is expected at the same time.
The now 72-year old former CIA analyst and award winning producer first sued NBCUniversal and Comcast on October 1, 2013 claiming that he had been dropped from LA affiliate KNBC in late 2012 due to his age. NBC News lost an attempt to dismiss the case back in August.
PREVIOUS, NOV. 6PM: A November 9 trial date in Los Angeles Superior Court has been set for ex-KNBC TV investigative producer Frank Snepp’s age-discrimination lawsuit against NBC News and parents NBCUniversal and Comcast. Snepp, now 72, filed suit in October 2013 after he was fired the year before by KNBC News Director Steve Carlston, who cited no cause and who informed him his “content producer position” was being eliminated. But Snepp claims the local L.A. affiliate still was producing investigative news stories and was keeping its three much-younger investigative producers on staff.
In August, Judge Stephen Moloney refused the media giant’s best efforts to have the Emmy- and Peabody-winning journalist’s case thrown out. Moloney said in a motion for summary judgment hearing that Snepp, a former CIA analyst, had provided enough evidence that a “discriminatory motive” was a factor to be able to move forward.
NBC claims Snepp was let go from KNBC because he was no good at his job. Since being hired in 2005, his worked help win the station three Emmys, a Peabody and a Western Region Edward R. Murrow Award.
Snepp seeks compensatory damages and punitive damages for wrongful termination. He is repped by Suzelle M. Smith and Archibald “Ames” Magill Smith IV of Howarth & Smith. NBC is repped by Bart Williams of Munger, Tolles & Olson.