Colin Trevorrow was confirmed today as director of Star Wars Episode IX. Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn announced the news today at D23. The film is set for release in 2019. Deadline first reported that Trevorrow was in line for this job July 10 during San Diego Comic-Con.
The director, coming off the runaway hit Jurassic World “is someone I’ve been interested in working with ever since I saw Safety Not Guaranteed,” Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy said in a statement. Trevorrow will be writing the script for the Jurassic World sequel, as Deadline previously reported.
Production won’t begin for a few years, but Trevorrow is heading to Lucasfilm this year to begin working with artists and his fellow Star Wars directors, according to Disney. “The power of that film paired with the enormous success of Jurassic World speaks volumes about his abilities both as a storyteller and skilled filmmaker,” Kennedy said. “We are thrilled to have such an incredible talent as Colin join our family and step into the Star Wars universe.”
Trevorrow said, “This is not a job or an assignment. It is a seat at a campfire, surrounded by an extraordinary group of storytellers, filmmakers, artists and craftspeople. We’ve been charged with telling new stories for a younger generation because they deserve what we all had—a mythology to call their own. We will do this by channeling something George Lucas instilled in all of us: boundless creativity, pure invention and hope.”
Star Wars: Episode IX will conclude the third trilogy of Star Wars movies that begins with Star Wars: The Force Awakens on December 18, 2015.
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.