EXCLUSIVE: The Bruce Willis-starring indie thriller Wake just can’t seem to keep its eyes open. The thriller, which was shut down last month because of budget problems, was expected to start up again on March 23, but that was postponed again. Some in the cast are now considering the project dead, although apparently CAA who reps Willis and co-star Ben Kingsley are trying to help put it back together as the actors apparently love the script and want to move forward.
The seesawing has to do with financing which said to be contingent on producing issues; the person whose shoulders it lays upon is producer Michael Benaroya. The thriller directed by John Pogue, which co-stars Ellen Burstyn and Piper Perabo, is being produced by Benaroya, Tobin Armbrust, David Alpert and Chris Cowles, with Frank Hildebrand listed as executive producer.
“We have no idea what is going to happen at this point,” said one person directly involved in the production. “It’s a shame because the filmmakers, the actors and the crew were ready to go and then it happened again.”
Bruce Willis Thriller 'Wake' Shuts Down Amid Budget Woes
The story follows a sociopath with no fear (Willis) who returns to his childhood home on a remote island for his brother’s wake. When the island comes under siege, he must save the very family that banished him from his ancestral home years ago.
The project was on location in Cleveland in February when, after only about a week to 10 days of shooting, it collapsed because of a lack of financing. If CAA cannot salvage the situation, the project will be dead. Benaroya Pictures told Deadline when it shut down the first time that they would begin principal photography again this month. Neither Benaroya Pictures nor the production would comment this time around.
International Film Trust handled international sales in Berlin during this month’s European Film Market. CAA is repping the domestic rights.
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.