To: Steve Burke, Pat Fili & Deborah Turness:
So, OK, you folks sent one kind of message with the six-month suspension of Nightly News anchor Brian Williams (though I’m still not quite sure what it is). It’s been widely reported that Williams’ new contract pays him $10 million a year. Assuming you now have some spare cash, here’s my suggestion for what you might do with that dough, while sending a Higher-Plane, Teachable-Moment kind of message to veterans, journalists and and other irked viewers you’d like to keep in the NBC fold for those premium-priced Big Pharma commercials your news programs come wrapped in:
Top 10 Really Worthy Groups NBCU Should Support On Brian Williams’ 50 Million Dimes:
10. Disabled American Veterans Charitable Service Trust
9. Wounded Warriors Family Support
8. Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
7. PEN International
6. Doctors Without Borders
5. Reporters Without Borders
4. International Women’s Media Foundation
3. Wounded Warrior Project
2. The Committee To Protect Journalists
1. The International Rescue Committee
There’s plenty of information on all of these nonprofit groups at Charity Navigator, which rates how much they actually spend on programming versus executive pay packages. Your move!
And give us your suggestions of how NBC should spend the money.
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.