Alejandro G. Iñárritu snared the best feature film director award for Birdman at tonight’s 67th Annual DGA Awards. “Making a film that’s good, it’s war and we have to survive it. If it is considered a great film, it has nothing to do with me. It’s a miracle,” said Iñárritu in accepting his award.
For much of the night, women ruled. Lesli Linka Glatter won best dramatic series director for Homeland, Jill Soloway took the comedy series nod for Transparent, Lisa Cholodenko for HBO’s Olive Kitteridge and Laura Poitras for docu Citizenfour.
The DGA also presented Lifetime Achievement Awards in Television Direction to James Burrows and Robert Butler. Burrows noted in his acceptance speech that winning the award “does not mean that I’m retiring.” Butler, the veteran director of Star Trek and Hill Street Blues pilots among other works, gave a nod to fellow winner Burrows and crowed “How about that commercial?” after watching a reel of his credits. Julie Gelfand was presented with the 2015 Franklin J. Schaffner Achievement Award and Philip Goldfarb won the Frank Capra Achievement Award, given to an assistant director or unit production manager. Here’s the complete list:
ALEJANDRO G. IÑÁRRITU
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
(Fox Searchlight Pictures)
Mr. Iñárritu’s Directorial Team:
Unit Production Managers: James W. Skotchdopole, Robert Graf
First Assistant Director: Peter Kohn
Second Assistant Director: Amy Lauritsen
Second Second Assistant Director: Catherine Feeny
Location Manager: Joaquin Prange
This is Mr. Iñárritu’s third DGA Award nomination. He was previously nominated in this category for Babel in 2006. He won the DGA Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Commercials for “Best Job” (Proctor and Gamble) in 2012.
LESLI LINKA GLATTER
Homeland, “From A to B and Back Again”
Ms. Glatter’s Directorial Team:
• Unit Production Managers: Angela Phillips, Michael Klick
• First Assistant Director: Nick Heckstall Smith
• Second Assistant Director: Wendy Bledsoe
This is Ms. Glatter’s fifth DGA Award nomination. She previously won in this category in 2009 for Mad Men, “Guy Walks into an Advertising Agency.” She was also nominated in 2013 and 2012 for Homeland episodes “The Star” and “Q & A,” as well as in 1990 for Twin Peaks, “Episode 32006.”
Transparent, “Best New Girl”
Ms. Soloway’s Directorial Team:
• Unit Production Manager: Victor Hsu
• First Assistant Director: Bill Purple
• Second Assistant Director: Allan Monteiro Fortes
This is Ms. Soloway’s first DGA Award nomination.
MOVIES FOR TELEVISION AND MINI SERIES
Ms. Cholodenko’s Directorial Team:
• Unit Production Manager: David Coatsworth
• First Assistant Director: Jesse Nye
• Second Assistant Director: Mark Constance
• Second Second Assistant Director: Elizabeth MacSwan
This is Ms. Cholodenko’s first DGA Award nomination.
HBO Documentary Films
Bertha Foundation | BRITDOC Circle | Channel 4
Norddeutscher Rundfunk NDR
Bayerischer Rundfunk BR
This is Ms. Poitras’s first DGA Award nomination.
VARIETY/TALK/NEWS/SPORTS – SPECIALS
The 68th Annual Tony Awards
Mr. Weiss’s Directorial Team:
• Associate Directors: Ken Diego, Robin Abrams, Stefani Cohen, Ricky Kirshner
• Stage Managers: Garry Hood, Phyllis Digilio-Kent, Peter Epstein, Andrew Feigin, Lynn Finkel, Doug Fogel, Jeffry Gitter, Arthur Lewis, Jeffrey M. Markowitz, Joey Meade, Seth Mellman, Cyndi Owgang, Jeff Pearl, Annette Powlis, Elise Reaves, Lauren Class Schneider
This is Mr. Weiss’s twelfth DGA Award nomination. He is also nominated this year for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Movies for Television and Mini-Series, together with Rob Ashford, for Peter Pan Live! He previously won the DGA Award in 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 for the 61st, 64th, 65th, 66th and 67th Annual Tony Awards. He was also nominated in 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006 and 2008 for the 55th, 56th, 59th, 60th, and 62nd Annual Tony Awards.
VARIETY/TALK/NEWS/SPORTS – REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING
The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, “Episode #1″
Mr. Diomedi’s Directorial Team:
• Associate Director: Maureen Smith
• Stage Managers: Nicka Tolmasoff, Mike Kilkenny
This is Mr. Diomedi’s second DGA Award nomination. He was nominated in this category last year for Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, “#799.”
ANTHONY B. SACCO
The Chair, “The Test”
This is Mr. Sacco’s third DGA Award nomination. He previously won in this category in 2006 for Treasure Hunters, “Episode #101” and was nominated in 2007 for Project Runway, “Fashion Giant #403.”
100 Things To Do Before High School, “Pilot”
Mr. Judge’s Directorial Team:
• Unit Production Manager: Debra Spidell
• First Assistant Director: Julian Petrillo
• Second Assistant Director: Katey Wheelhouse
• Second Second Assistant Director: Ceci Mak
This is Mr. Judge’s third DGA Award nomination. He was previously nominated in this category in 2013 for Swindle and in 2012 for Camp Fred.
Sapeurs, Guinness AMV BBDO
• First Assistant Director: Bob Wilkins
Waiting, FEMA Deutsch NY
• First Assistant Director: Bob Wagner
• Second Assistant Director: Rafa Sanz
This is Mr. Fuglsig’s second DGA Award nomination. He previously won in this category in 2007 for Tipping Point (Guinness), It’s Magic (JC Penney), and TJourney (Motorola)
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.