True Blood star Stephen Moyer and Sam Spruell are set for major roles in the period drama, as is SOA’s Katey Sagal. This time around, Sagal will be joined in front of the camera by her husband, Sutter, who also will be a regular on the show, playing Sagal’s character’s “mute” mate and guardian who rarely speaks and does not show his face.
Rounding out the regular cast of the Fox 21 TV Studios-FX Prods-Imagine project are fellow SOA alum Timothy V. Murphy, Flora Spencer-Longhurst, Darren Evans, Danny Sapani, Sarah White, and Sarah Sweeney. Additionally, Matthew Rhys, star of FX’s The Americans, will guest star in the pilot. He is expected to recur on the potential series, which would not impact his status on The Americans. Production of the pilot, written by Sutter and directed by SOA’s Paris Barclay, begins on March 19 in Wales.
The Bastard Executioner, which is fully expected to go to series, tells the story of a warrior knight (Jones) in King Edward I’s charge who is broken by the ravages of war and vows to lay down his sword. But when that violence finds him again he is forced to pick up the bloodiest sword of all.
- Newcomer Lee Jones (pictures) plays the lead, the tall, dark and imposing Wilkin Brattle. The emotionally deep, spiritually tortured former knight in the charge of King Edward I now lives a simple agrarian life. Jones is repped by Emery Entertainment and Sophie Jermyn in Australia. The race for L.A. agents to sign him starts now.
- Stephen Moyer plays the street smart and noble savvy Milus Corbett. He was one of Ventris’ marshals in the army. Now, serves as his Chamberlain, Chancellor and Justiciar. Friend and drinking mate. Moyer is repped by WME.
- Katey Sagal plays Annora of the Alders: Prescient, mystical and beautiful. She offers predictions, cures and potions. Sagal is repped by WME.
- Flora Spencer-Longhurst is Baroness Lowry ‘Love’ Aberffraw Ventris: As cunning as she is kind and beautiful. From a wealthy Welsh family, she married Ventris at 17 to protect her family’s land. Her noble duties always in conflict with her Welsh pride. Spencer-Longhurst is repped by United Agents.
- Kurt Sutter is The Dark Mute: Mate and guardian of Annora. Speaks rarely, no one’s ever seen his face. Sutter is repped by WME.
- Sam Spruell plays Toran Prichard: Fierce, tenacious. An archer under Madog Llywelyn in the last major Welsh rebellion. He put down the bow and picked up the hoe. Wilkin’s best mate. Spruell is repped by ICM and Silver Lining Entertainment.
- Darren Evans (Galavant) plays Ash y Goedwig: Wiry, smart. A trapper. An orphan “of the woods”. Friend of Wilkin. Evans is repped by Troika.
- Danny Sapani (Penny Dreadful) plays Berber the Moor: A large, educated man. Converted Muslim. A farmer. Friend of Wilkin. Sapani is repped by Gordon and French.
- Timothy V. Murphy is Father Ruskin: A Brawny. Gentle, with bottled fury. Former soldier. Left the military for the seminary. Priest, rector and teacher of the court. Murphy is repped by SDB Partners.
- Sarah White is Isabel Kiffin: Tall, slight. Awkward and innocent. Lady Love’s handmaiden and trusted confidant. White is represented by Gendler & Kelly, and APC.
- Sarah Sweeny is Jessamy Maddox: Pretty, hardened by abuse. The executioner’s wife. Repped by Lou Coulson Associates.
- In a guest-starring role, Matthew Rhys plays Gruffudd y Blaidd: Smart, fearless, of noble blood. The Wolf. Leader of the Welsh rebels, Byth Encil. Rhys is repped by WME and Management 360.
Sutter executive produces with Brian Grazer, Francie Calfo and Barclay.
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.