YouTube visitors already have spent 100 million minutes watching Super Bowl-related ads this year, led by a behind-the-scenes video of YouTube star Roman Atwood’s plastic-ball prank created for a Nissan ad (watch his video above). That’s three times more than through the same period last year, with the Super Bowl itself (and the actual ads) still three days away. That suggests a lot of people are investigating brands online ahead of the year’s biggest ad day.
It might not be surprising that Nissan’s enlisting of a YouTube star has paid off with the most-viewed ad video on the Google-owned site, but surely even Nissan didn’t hope for this kind of attention. The behind-the-scenes video already has 20.1 million views and 312,000 likes, not bad even for someone with 5 million YouTube subscribers like Atwood. Now to see if the finished ad, appearing in that other ball game, can score with viewers too.
Below is YouTube’s list of top 10 Super Bowl ads viewed list (so far).
- Nissan – Crazy Plastic Ball PRANK!! (Collaboration with YouTube creator Roman Atwood)
- Bud Light – Bud Light Super Bowl XLIX Commercial – Real Life PacMan #UpForWhatever
- T-Mobile – #KimsDataStash | T-Mobile Commercial
- Budweiser – 2015 Budweiser Super Bowl Commercial “Lost Dog” | Budweiser #BestBuds
- Carl’s Jr – AU NATUREL – The All-Natural Burger Extended Director’s Cut
- BMW – BMW i3 – “Newfangled Idea”
- Snickers – Snickers® – “Super Bowl Teaser”
- Buzzfeed + Friskies – Dear Kitten: Regarding The Big Game
- Mercedes – Mercedes-Benz “Fable” Commercial :60
- Newcastle – Aubrey Plaza Prepares America for Newcastle’s Band of Brands Ad
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.