YouTube has just released its lists of 2014’s top 10 trending videos and top 10 music videos. SA Wardega’s comedy-horror 4-minute short, Giant Mutant Spider Dog, drew a shocking 113 million views and the top spot on the non-music side. But because it’s a global list, many of the others in the top 10s feature stars and brands with global reach.
On the non-music side, that list also includes a star-filled Nike ad for the World Cup; Italy’s version of The Voice; Simon Cowell in Britain’s Got Talent; Budweiser’s very sweet Super Bowl ad (no fair selling beer with dogs and horses, not to mention a fantastic Jake Bugg song); a test of the possibly excessive bendability of Apple’s newest iPhone, and YouTube hit show Epic Rap Battles Of History going Superman.
Series 'Step Up: High Water' & 'Wayne', Pilot 'Dark Cargo' Seek New Homes As YouTube Steps Up Scripted Pullback
At tenth, however, in what should have its own Meaningful Cultural Impact category, is a video of a woman walking the streets of New York, and the catcalls and other harassment she received from passersby over 10 hours.
That video, unlike most of the rest, helped drive a far broader and more meaningful discussion about women’s treatment in U.S. society that also was fueled by issues such as the Gamergate controversy in the videogame world, the flawed Rolling Stone story about an alleged gang rape at the University of Virginia and the Bill Cosby sexual abuse allegations.
1. Mutant Giant Spider Dog (SA Wardega) by SA Wardega
2. Nike Football: Winner Stays. ft. Ronaldo, Neymar Jr., Rooney, Ibrahimović, Iniesta & more by Nike Football
3. FIRST KISS by Tatia PIlieva
4. The Voice IT | Serie 2 | Blind 2 | Suor Cristina Scuccia – #TEAMJ-AX by TheVoiceOf Italy
5. iPhone 6 Plus Bend Test by Unbox Therapy
6. Bars & Melody – Simon Cowell’s Golden Buzzer act | Britain’s Got Talent 2014 by Britain’s Got Talent
7. Budweiser Super Bowl XLVIII Commercial — “Puppy Love” by Budweiser
8. Devil Baby Attack by DevilsDueNYC
9. Goku vs Superman. Epic Rap Battles of History Season 3. by ERB
10. 10 Hours of Walking in NYC as a Woman by Street HarassmentVideo
On the music side, there were few surprises (especially for anyone who saw the fan-chosen acts at the American Music Awards a couple of weeks ago).
Katy Perry led the procession, but Shakira placed two videos in the top four. Pop powerhouses Nicki Minaj, Taylor Swift, Enrique Iglesias and Iggy Azalea all made it too. Relative newcomers Meghan Trainor and Jason DeRulo both got in, DeRulo helped by a Snoop Dogg cameo.
Sia, best known in Hollywood for contributing Breathe Me to the final scene in Six Feet Under, returned to the music business after a lengthy absence and had fans hanging from her new album’s title song, Chandelier.
1. Katy Perry – Dark Horse (Official) ft. Juicy J
2. Enrique Iglesias – Bailando (Español) ft. Descemer Bueno, Gente De Zona
3. Shakira – Can’t Remember to Forget You ft. Rihanna
4. Shakira – La La La (Brazil 2014) ft. Carlinhos Brown
5. Jason Derulo – “Wiggle” feat. Snoop Dogg (Official HD Music Video)
6. Iggy Azalea – Fancy (Explicit) ft. Charli XCX
7. Sia – Chandelier (Official Video)
8. Taylor Swift – Shake It Off
9. Meghan Trainor – All About That Bass
10. Nicki Minaj – Anaconda
YouTube also put together its annual “rewind” video, providing an overview of the year’s big trends. Watch that here:
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.