The lawyer for the family of Sarah Jones said today that it has reached an agreement with Midnight Rider director Randall Miller, his wife and producer Jody Savin, and several crewmembers in the wrongful death civil lawsuit filed after their daughter was killed during production in February on a train trestle in rural Georgia.
Attorney Jeff Harris said the confidential agreement had been reached with Miller, Savin, their Unclaimed Freight production company, location manager Charles Baxter, unit production manager/executive producer Jay Sedrish and Jay Sedrish Inc, executive producer and financier Don Mandrick, first assistant director Hillary Schwartz, director of photography Mike Ozier, Epozier Films Inc and landowner Rayonier Performance Fibers Llc.
“Richard and Elizabeth Jones’ objectives in filing this lawsuit, after the death of their 27-year-old daughter, Sarah, have been clear and unwavering,” said Harris. “To find out what happened on the day of their daughter’s death, determine who was responsible, hold those who made bad decisions accountable and ensure this kind of tragedy never happens again on another film set. Today, we are another step closer to fully achieving those objectives.”
Defendants CSX, Meddin Studios and Meddin’s Nick Gant, an executive producer, remain in the family’s suit, which was originally filed in May. Last month, the pic’s distributor Open Road Films and producers Gregg Allman and his Film Allman partner Michael Lehman also reached a deal to be removed.
Miller, Savin, Sedrish and Schwartz were indicted for involuntary manslaughter and criminal trespass, and that criminal trial is still scheduled to begin March 9.
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.