Sony has debuted a first look at Chappie, the R-rated sci-fi action pic from helmer Neill Blomkamp. The South African director impressed with his indie debut feature District 9, then directed Matt Damon and Jodie Foster in 2013’s No. 1 box office opener Elysium. He returns to a South African setting with Chappie, about a robot (voiced by District 9‘s Sharlto Copley) born into the world able to think and feel for himself. Dev Patel, Hugh Jackman, Sigourney Weaver, and South African rappers Die Antwoord star for Blomkamp, who co-scripted with his District 9 collaborator Terri Tatchell. Sony releases the film on March 6.
‘Chappie’ Teaser: ‘District 9’ Director Unveils Sci-Fi Robot Tale
What's Hot on Deadline
Will Ferrell To Star In Netflix Music Pic 'Eurovision' As Another A-List Comedy Star Tries A Streaming Vehicle
'Incredibles 2' Record $183M Beats 'Captain America: Civil War' Opening & Lifetime Totals Of 'Cars 3', 'A Bug's Life'
'The Sopranos' Vincent Pastore & Steven Van Zandt & 'Mindhunter’s Holt McCallany Star In Dark Mob Comedy
Latest Film News
- MTV Movie & TV Awards Winners: ‘Black Panther’, ‘Stranger Things’ Among Top Honorees…
- MTV Movie & TV Awards: Michael B. Jordan Wins For Best Villain, Says He Thought “Roseanne Had It In The Bag”
- Tiffany Haddish Opens MTV Movie & TV Awards With Wakandan Showdown Against Chadwick Boseman
- Warner Bros Chief Promises “Lively And Honest Conversation” As Post-Merger Town Hall Meetings Commence
- ‘Searching’ Trailer: John Cho Points & Clicks His Way Through The Sundance Internet Thriller
- Marvel’s ‘Iron Fist’ Set To Hit Comic-Con; No Show For ‘Captain Marvel’ & Film Side