WorldStarHipHop is headed from the web to the screen at Paramount Insurge, which bought a pitch for a feature film inspired by the notorious and highly trafficked urban culture and shock video site. Founded in 2005, the WorldStar site has cultivated an online culture of its own around the brand with its 30 million unique visitors per month consuming everything from music videos to viral “street fight” clips. Even that “Apparently” news kid is on the front page of WorldStar today, right up there with Guardians of the Galaxy‘s Chris Pratt dropping Eminem lyrics and amateur prankster vids. How To Make It In America creator Ian Edelman came up with an original pitch based on the web site and is scripting the project for Paramount’s microbudget arm, which he may also direct. Plot is being kept under wraps but is described as being akin to Ferris Bueller’s Day Off in tone. Hip hop impresario Russell Simmons has come aboard to produce alongside Douglas Banker, Trevor Engelson, and site founder Q Worldstar for Def Pictures, Woven, Underground, and World Star Hip Hop respectively as filmmakers eye a Fall shoot in New York City.
‘WorldStarHipHop’ Movie In Works At Paramount Insurge
What's Hot on Deadline
Donald Trump Responds To Washington Post Staff's Open Letter To Jeff Bezos, Says Strike "Would Be A Great Idea"
Anthony Bourdain's Suicide Mourned By Rose McGowan In New Letter; Didn't Take "Doctor's Advice" In Depression Battle
Latest Film News
- ‘American Gods’ Star Yetide Badaki Launches Campaign For Reimagining Of ‘Alice In Wonderland’
- ‘Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom’ Rises To $370M Overseas; ‘Incredibles 2’ Powers $52M Early Bow – International…
- The Week In Deadline Videos & Podcasts: Jason Bateman, Jonathan Tucker, And The ‘Queen Sugar’ Cast
- Hollywood Father’s Day Celebrated With Online Celebrity Salutes To Dear Ol’ Dad
- Director James L. Brooks Tweets That “Nursing Babies” Are Being Pulled From Mothers At Border
- 'Eating Animals' Dishes Up Solid Bow; 'Won't You Be My Neighbor?' Expands Strongly; 'RBG' Hits $10M: Specialty Box Office