Chernin Entertainment and Gary Sanchez Productions’ Match Maker is based on Don Van Matta Jr’s ESPN The Magazine article “The Match Maker: Bobby Riggs, The Mafia And The Battle Of The Sexes,” centering on the 1973 exhibition tennis match between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs that drew 50 million TV viewers. King, then 29 and at the height of her powers, beat Riggs, the a 55-year-old retired pro — though there’s always been speculation there’s more to the story. Will Ferrell is now attached to play Riggs, and The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty scribe Steven Conrad has been hired to write the script. Variety had this break first.
Will Ferrell To Star In Billie Jean King-Bobby Riggs Pic ‘Match Maker’
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald' Looting $69M-$70M; Widows $13M+, 'Instant Family' $12M+ Openings
Elisabeth Röhm To Play Fox News Host Martha MacCallum; Spencer Garrett Is Sean Hannity: Jay Roach's Roger Ailes Movie
2019 Spirit Award Nominations: ‘We The Animals’ Tops With Five, A24 Leads All Distributors, Studio Classic Labels Come Up Short
Don't Stop Him Now: Will The Oscars Embrace ‘Mr. Robot’ Emmy Winner Rami Malek's Turn As Freddie Mercury In 'Bohemian Rhapsody'?
Latest Film News
- Notes On The Season: Oscar Race’s Crazy Weekend; ‘Mary’s’ Two Queen Contenders; Indie Spirits Go…
- William Goldman: Photo Gallery Of A Screenwriting Legend’s Greatest Hits
- Comedian Nikki Glaser Signs With UTA
- Fresh Face: Thomasin McKenzie Blazes A Trail With ‘Leave No Trace’
- ‘Be Natural’ Acquired By Zeitgeist Films & Kino Lorber; Docu About Alice Guy-Blaché Screened At Cannes…
- ‘The Orville’s J. Lee To Direct & Star In ‘Wednesdays’; Seth Green, Emmy Raver-Lampman Cast