EXCLUSIVE: Sony Pictures has locked Breck Eisner to direct Karate Kid 2, the sequel that will bring back Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan. Harald Zwart directed the 2010 original, which grossed $56 million on its opening weekend and ended with $343 million worldwide. Eisner, repped by CAA and Management 360, most recently directed the gritty horror film The Crazies. It is an important film for the studio that has placed a premium in the care and feeding of franchises with global appeal. The original 1984 Karate Kid is a beloved film, but let’s face it, that crane deal at the end would never have worked, and this kid is way more believable as a martial artist.
‘Karate Kid 2’ Locks Breck Eisner To Helm Jaden Smith, Jackie Chan
What's Hot on Deadline
Batwoman TV Series In Works At the CW With Groundbreaking Lesbian Superhero Lead From Caroline Dries & Greg Berlanti
Hollywood & Beltway On Summit: Schwarzenegger Calls Donald Trump "Little Wet Noodle, Little Fan Boy" - Update
Latest Film News
- Sony Pictures Hires Ellene V. Miles As SVP Intersectional Marketing
- “Lawnmower Man” Director Brett Leonard Shooting Scripted VR Series “Hollywood Rooftop”
- Cinthya Carmona Joins ‘The Tax Collector’; Cathy Shim Cast In ‘The Sun Is Also A Star’; Jake Allyn In ‘Kill Me Twice…
- Netflix Terminates Contract With The Weinstein Co.
- LA Film Festival Moves Into New Oscar-Season Berth With Diverse Programs, Partnerships
- Kate Winslet, Diane Keaton & Mia Wasikowska To Star In ‘Silent Heart’ Remake ‘Blackbird’, With Roger…