The hot spec script du jour is The Politician, a hard R-rated comedy by Matt Bass and Theodore Bressman. They are ex-assistants to Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, and their former bosses are attached to produce with Mark Gordon. I’m hearing that Paramount and Sony are battling it out right now and that the bidding is getting into the high six figures, with WME and Circle of Confusion’s Julian Rosenberg selling it. This spec could get close to seven figures; right now Paramount may have the edge. There is a timely concept here, given the recent publicity about the Toronto mayor getting caught in a crack smoking scandal. Here, the title character starts off in a raucous encounter with hookers and it gets worse from there in what is described to me as Bad Santa, if that character was a D.C. politician. Will tell you more when I know it.
Hot Spec: ‘The Politician’, Bad Santa As D.C. Pol
What's Hot on Deadline
Oscars Last Call: Queen's Brian May & Roger Taylor On Rami Malek's Morph Into Freddie Mercury In 'Bohemian Rhapsody'
'The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel': Star Rachel Brosnahan & Co-Star Tony Shalhoub Nab Big Raises, Alex Borstein Nears New Deal
Latest Film News
- Berlin Film Festival 2019 Winners: Nadav Lapid’s ‘Synonyms’ Takes Golden Bear; Full List Of Winners
- Bruno Ganz Dies: Swiss Actor In ‘Downfall’ Was 77
- Dave Smith Dies: Walt Disney Archives Founder Was 78
- Christopher Knopf Dies: Former President Of The Writers Guild Of America West Was 91
- Pete Hammond’s Notes On The Season: Academy Crisis Averted; Spike Lee On 2 Words He Won’t Say; Is This Finally The Year For Oscar …
- ASC Boss Thanks Academy In New Open Letter As Hollywood Reacts To Oscars Rethink