The world will have to wait another year for its Independence Day 2. Fox said today that it is moving the long-in-coming sequel from July 3, 2015 — a date it had announced in June — to July 1, 2016. That means the Roland Emmerich-helmed pic will arrive exactly 20 years and one day after the blockbuster original, which made a movie star of Will Smith. A look at the Way-Ahead Machine reveals that the ID4:2 (or however it will be texted in 2 1/2 years) will go up against another bombing-themed pic: Sony’s Angry Birds.
Fox Pushes ‘Independence Day 2’ To 2016
What's Hot on Deadline
Elisabeth Röhm To Play Fox News Host Martha MacCallum; Spencer Garrett Is Sean Hannity: Jay Roach's Roger Ailes Movie
Don't Stop Him Now: Will The Oscars Embrace ‘Mr. Robot’ Emmy Winner Rami Malek's Turn As Freddie Mercury In 'Bohemian Rhapsody'?
PTA, Cuaron, Streisand, Del Toro, Edgar Wright, Inarritu, DiCaprio, Chazelle, Nolan Among Directors Appealing To Warner Bros To Save FilmStruck
Netflix Orders Innovative Animated World War II Drama Series 'The Liberator' From A+E Studios, Unique Features & Jeb Stuart
RatPac Dune's Warner Bros Film Library Sale: Who Wants Piece Of 'Wonder Woman,' 'American Sniper' & 'Gravity'?
Latest Film News
- Bert & Bertie Attached To Direct & Write ‘Eurydice’ For Amazon Studios
- Kelly McMahon To Succeed Retiring Joan Graves As MPAA Ratings Chief
- Elisabeth Röhm To Play Fox News Host Martha MacCallum; Spencer Garrett Is Sean Hannity: Jay Roach’s Roger Ailes Movie
- Melissa McCarthy To Receive Santa Barbara Film Festival Montecito Award
- Kim Porter Dies: Model, Actress, Mother Of Sean Combs Children Was 47
- Peter Bart: Oscar Campaign Gurus Already Warning Of Q&A Minefields