The world will have to wait another year for its Independence Day 2. Fox said today that it is moving the long-in-coming sequel from July 3, 2015 — a date it had announced in June — to July 1, 2016. That means the Roland Emmerich-helmed pic will arrive exactly 20 years and one day after the blockbuster original, which made a movie star of Will Smith. A look at the Way-Ahead Machine reveals that the ID4:2 (or however it will be texted in 2 1/2 years) will go up against another bombing-themed pic: Sony’s Angry Birds.
Fox Pushes ‘Independence Day 2’ To 2016
What's Hot on Deadline
'Crazy Rich Asians' Leads Thursday B.O. With $3.7M+, 5-Day Looking At $25M-$27M; 'Mile 22' Takes $1M
'The Royals' Canceled By E! After 4 Seasons, Shopped By Lionsgate With Pop Eyed As Possible New Home
President Donald Trump Gets Personal Noting Death Of Aretha Franklin: "She Worked For Me On Numerous Occasions"
Latest Film News
- ‘The Oath’ Teaser: Ike Barinholtz, Tiffany Haddish Comedy Serves Up Thanksgiving Fracas
- Jafar Panahi's Drama ‘3 Faces’ To Get U.S. Theatrical Run After Kino Lorber Strikes Deal
- ‘Crazy Rich Asians’ Leads Thursday B.O. With $3.7M+, 5-Day Looking At $25M-$27M; ‘Mile 22’ Takes $1M
- BFI Deputy Head Of Press Emma Hewitt Joins BBC Films To Head Up Communications
- Broadway’s ‘Pretty Woman’ Musical: All Dressed Up With No Place To Go – Review
- IATSE President Accuses Editors Guild Leader Of Violating Federal Labor Law