Illumination’s Chris Meledandri shows up on the Universal panel at Deadline’s THE CONTENDERS event to talk about the formula for success that has made his Despicable Me 2 not only the year’s top animated grosser not too far under a billion dollars worldwide at the box office but also the most successful film in the studio’s history. Universal is doing a big push to see that it also gets Oscar recognition, something that eluded the original film. Not only are they hoping for an Animated Feature mention but also Pharrell Williams’ song “Happy” is in contention. As for future sequels Meledandri shares the current plan.
The Contenders 2013: ‘Despicable Me 2’s’ Chris Meledandri Talks Humor, Heart, Minions And The Future Of Illumination (Video)
What's Hot on Deadline
Oscars Last Call: Queen's Brian May & Roger Taylor On Rami Malek's Morph Into Freddie Mercury In 'Bohemian Rhapsody'
Latest Film News
- ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ Takes Top Film Honor At Cinema Audio Society Awards
- ‘Vice’, ‘Mrs. Maisel’ Among Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild Awards Winners
- Dwayne Johnson Wraps ‘Most Challenging Film’ Ever – ‘Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw…
- Bette Midler to Perform Song From ‘Mary Poppins Returns’ At Oscars
- ‘If Beale Street Could Talk’ Puts The Mass Incarceration Issue On The Big Screen – Guest Column
- Berlin Film Festival 2019 Winners: Nadav Lapid’s ‘Synonyms’ Takes Golden Bear; Full List Of Winners