Amat Escalante won the Cannes Film Festival Best Director prize this year for Heli, a stark look at the effects of crime and corruption in Mexico. The country has now submitted it for the Outstanding Foreign Language Film Oscar race, the Academia Mexicana de Artes y Ciencias Cinematográficas said today. Heli centers on a 12-year-old girl who falls in love with a young police cadet who wants to run away with her and get married. He gets mixed up cartels when he decides to smuggle drugs to earn money, with violent and tragic consequences.
Mexico Submits Cannes Winner ‘Heli’ For Foreign Language Oscar
What's Hot on Deadline
Alec Baldwin Asks Whether Donald Trump's 'SNL' Tweet Is "A Threat To My Safety And That Of My Family?"
Writers Guild Awards 2019: 'Eighth Grade' & 'Can You Ever Forgive Me?' Take Top Prizes - Full Winners List
Latest Awardsline News
- Oscar Week 2019 Parties & Events: The List
- Oscars: Film Editing Nominee John Ottman On ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’s Triumphant Journey, Making Queen Timeless, And Bryan Singer’s…
- Oscars: Queen Will Bring Thunderbolts & Lightning To Sunday’s Ceremony
- ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’, ‘Roma’ Top Golden Reel Awards – MPSE Winners List
- Writers Guild Awards 2019: ‘Eighth Grade’ & ‘Can You Ever Forgive Me?’ Take Top Prizes – Full Winners…
- Writers Guild Awards Live Blog: Follow The Trophy Show Here