Dominique Lavanant Takes Over Role Following Lafont Death
Dominique Lavanant has replaced the late Bernadette Lafont in Les Vacances Du Petit Nicolas, Laurent Tirard’s sequel to his 2009 French hit comedy Le Petit Nicolas. Lafont, a veteran of some 120 films, passed away last week. She was to have played the grandmother of the titular tyke. Lavanant, Le Parisien reports, is taking over the role for the film which is currently shooting. Lavanant and Lafont previously starred together in Paulette in 2012. Lavanant is also known for her role in Patrice Leconte’s classic comedy franchise Les Bronzés, Jean-Marie Poiré’s 1983 comedy Papy Fait De La Resistance and for Agent Trouble, which won her a César in 1998. Les Vacances Du Petit Nicolas releases in France in July next year.
Legal Victory For JK Rowling Over ‘Cuckoo’s Calling’
After she was recently leaked as the true author of The Cuckoo’s Calling, JK Rowling took legal action against those responsible for revealing her name. Rowling had penned the detective novel under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith but was outed as the author earlier this month in a Sunday Times article. Britain’s Russells Solicitors are understood to have contacted Rowling’s agent after the story ran and explained that it was an attorney at the firm who had divulged the confidential information to a friend. That person then revealed the information in the course of a Twitter exchange with a journalist, the BBC reports. The parties involved have apologized and will pay Rowling’s legal fees. They will also make a substantial donation to the Soldiers’ Charity, formerly known as the Army Benevolent Fund. Per the BBC, Rowling said she was donating the money “partly as a thank you to the army people” who helped her with research. Rowling is also donating all of her royalties from The Cuckoo’s Calling to the charity.
Watch on Deadline
Police Beef Up Presence In Cannes Following Second Jewelry Heist
The Cannes Film Festival was plagued this last May with a series of break-ins and, notably, a $1M jewel heist. Following recent events in the Riviera town, festival goers and TV market attendees may notice an increased police presence in the coming months. Over the weekend, the Carlton Hotel was held up with thieves making off with $136M in jewelry. Today, ABC News reports that yet another heist has spurred Cannes to call in police reinforcements from other cities. The latest robbery took place in a shop on the Croisette with two armed men making off with about 40 watches. Cannes police officer Véronique Morindi told ABC News the city only has about 20 officers and four or five cars on duty in the mornings. Extra officers will arrive on Thursday and will concentrate on luxury stores, she said.
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.