Well, it’s April 1st and we have our fool. After all his huffing and puffing, Donald Trump has unsurprisingly withdrawn his $5 million lawsuit against Bill Maher. The Celebrity Apprentice host had his lawyers file the request for dismissal with prejudice in LA Superior Court on March 29. Trump, whose NBC show hit a season low last night, first filed the breach of contract suit back in early February against the HBO host. He said that Maher broke a written promise that he’d give $5 million to the charities of Trump’s choice if The Donald could prove he wasn’t “the spawn of his mother having sex with an orangutan.”
Related: Maher On Trump Lawsuit: “Suck It Up” – Video
The Real Time host first made the pledge on the Tonight Show on January 7 in response to Republican Trump’s offer during last year’s election to give the same amount of cash to charity if President Obama would release his college and passport records. In his February filing, Trump claims he accepted Maher’s pledge in writing the day after the Leno appearance. He also said in his February 5 suit that he provided his birth certificate and he was not born of an interspecies mating. Trump said because of that he wants the cash for five charities. TMZ has Michael Cohen, Trump’s EVP and Special Counsel, quoted as saying “the lawsuit was temporarily withdrawn to be amended and refiled at a later date.” Really? That’s an April Fools joke I bet. Trump is represented by Scott Balber and Jonathan Cross of Cooley LLP’s New York office and Michael Rhodes of the firm’s San Diego office.
Must Read Stories
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.