EXCLUSIVE: Of course a foul-mouthed teddy bear would translate internationally since it’s a beloved global plush toy. Still, MRC/Universal’s Ted is already open in 10 international territories and was #1 in almost every territory including an outstanding run in Australia. Now Universal opens it in 10 more markets this weekend and it’s already topping the foreign box office with big grosses in Germany and Russia plus previews in the UK. There, the Seth MacFarlane/Mark Wahlberg starrer has been #1 for two days of $5.3M previews, besting Warner Bros’ and Legendary Pictures’ third weekend of The Dark Knight Rises. Universal has planned the widest-ever release for Ted‘s official opening today in the UK and Ireland. In Germany, Ted opened #1 on its first day ahead of TDKR and grossed $1.2M on Thursday, a 2012 record best for Universal in this market. In Russia, Ted had a record-breaking start as well, opening Thursday with $1.4M as the #1 film ahead of TDKR. This is a record for a Hollywood comedy. Ted‘s international total has risen to $54.5M in just 20 territories, and Universal has 38 openings yet to release in the next few months.
'Ted' Beating 'Dark Knight Rises' Overseas
What's Hot on Deadline
Wilmer Valderrama Signs On To Return To 'NCIS', Enters First-Look Deal With CBS TV Studios Focused On Diversity
Latest Film News
- Did Tom Holland Reveal The Title Of The ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ Sequel?
- The Week In Deadline Videos & Podcasts: Jennifer Jason Leigh, Tanya Saracho, And DeWanda Wise
- Marvel’s James Gunn Blasts Trump For Signing Crime Victim Photos
- Seth Rogen Refused A Picture With House Speaker Paul Ryan
- ‘Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom’ Rises To $145M+ Opening – Saturday AM Update
- 20th Century Fox Sets Dates For Untitled James Mangold Ferrari Project, Kenneth Branagh’s ‘Death On The Nile…