Satya della Manitou and Robert Rothbard have formed Ex Machina Media Group, a production company that will generate film and TV projects. They start with the feature Rebel In Paradise (The Life And Times Of My Buddy Dennis Hopper). Della Manitou has had a 40-year career in show business as friend, dialogue coach and co-producer to the late Hopper. Della Manitou co-starred with Hopper in the Wim Wenders film The American Friend.
Della Manitou wrote Rebel In Paradise with Rothbard. The film follows Hopper and della Manitou after they meet in Taos, New Mexico while Hopper was scouting locations for Easy Rider. The two became fast friends. Among the other Ex-Machina projects:
• Burn – a supernatural thriller for Rothbard to direct from a Graham Masterton script about a mother who makes a deal with a Native American Shaman for the safe return of her kidnapped children.
• Driving Lessons – a coming-of-age sex, drugs and rock ‘n roll comedy written by della Manitou.
• The Boys Of Armageddon High – a stylized comic book-styled teen comedy written by Rothbard.
Watch on Deadline
• Gold 57 – a ’50s story about young singers rise to fame, in association with Tony Devon.
• Looking For Chet Baker – based on the best-selling mystery novel by Bill Moody.
• Doggone Lover – a romantic comedy written by Jeanie Mar about a woman’s deceased boyfriend who returns as a dog.
“We’ve known each other for many years and we’re like-minded individuals with a singular goal – the production of quality cinema told in the classic storyteller tradition for the post-modern world,” della Manitou said.
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.