It was the first time the streaming service has pumped out so much content in a month according to a post that CEO Reed Hastings made on his Facebook page. “Congrats to [Chief Content Officer] Ted Sarandos, and his amazing content licensing team,” Hastings wrote. He added: “When House of Cards and Arrested Development debut, we’ll blow these records away. Keep going, Ted, we need even more!” BTIG’s Richard Greenfield made some back-of-the-envelope calculations and figures that Hastings’ data means the average Netflix subscriber watched it 80 minutes a day — up from 64 minutes a day in the last three months of 2011. If true, he says, then “Netflix would have been the 7th most watched network inclusive of broadcast and cable networks (up from#15 in Q4 2011). It also would have been #2 among cable networks, slightly larger than ESPN and just below Disney Channel.” Hastings’ news, along with an upbeat report today from Citigroup’s Mark Mahaney, contributed to a 6.2% jump in Netflix shares to $72.04. That’s not bad. But here’s something worth remembering as we approach the anniversary of Netflix’s July 12 announcement of its plan to split the streaming and DVD rentals into separate businesses, with a 60% price hike for people who wanted to keep both services. A year ago the company shares traded for close to $300.
Netflix CEO Says Monthly Viewing Exceeded 1B Hours In June
What's Hot on Deadline
Seth MacFarlane Tweets He Is "Embarrassed" To Work For Fox After Tucker Carlson Tells Viewers To Ignore Other News Sources
'Incredibles 2' Record $180M Beats 'Captain America: Civil War' Opening & Lifetime Totals Of 'Cars 3', 'A Bug's Life'
Donald Trump Responds To Washington Post Staff's Open Letter To Jeff Bezos, Says Strike "Would Be A Great Idea"
Latest Film News
- ‘American Gods’ Star Yetide Badaki Launches Campaign For Reimagining Of ‘Alice In Wonderland’
- ‘Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom’ Rises To $370M Overseas; ‘Incredibles 2’ Powers $52M Early Bow – International…
- The Week In Deadline Videos & Podcasts: Jason Bateman, Jonathan Tucker, And The ‘Queen Sugar’ Cast
- Hollywood Father’s Day Celebrated With Online Celebrity Salutes To Dear Ol’ Dad
- Director James L. Brooks Tweets That “Nursing Babies” Are Being Pulled From Mothers At Border
- 'Eating Animals' Dishes Up Solid Bow; 'Won't You Be My Neighbor?' Expands Strongly; 'RBG' Hits $10M: Specialty Box Office