As expected, Danny Boyle’s Olympics Opening Ceremony was a big ratings hit for the BBC last night, handily outperforming any other Games curtain-raiser in recent memory. The program captured an average 22.4M viewers and an 82.5% audience share. The average rating is the highest for the channel since 1998. Athens’ 2004 Opening Ceremony scored an average audience of 8.7M for a 41% share in primetime while the lauded Beijing opener in 2008 had a 51% share, but only 5.1M average viewers given it aired in the middle of the UK day. Last night’s opener began at 9pm local time and peaked for 5 minutes at 9:45pm with 26.9M tuning in to see Boyle’s Isles Of Wonder which featured a parachuting Queen, flying Mary Poppinses, a Mr Bean/Chariots Of Fire montage and a performance by Paul McCartney. The BBC’s most recent comparable 5-minute peak was 23.2M viewers during the England v Italy Euro 2012 match in June. Online viewing was 1M+, the BBC said.
Danny Boyle Scores 14-Year BBC Ratings High With London Olympics Opener
What's Hot on Deadline
Endeavor Eyes More Content Acquisitions As CEO Ari Emanuel Opens Up About Conflict Of Interest & Saudi Arabia Investment - Mipcom
'Fear The Walking Dead's Colman Domingo Lifts The Lid On AMC Adaptation Of Stage Play 'Dot' - Mipcom
"Tiny" Trump Attacks "Total Con" Stormy Daniels; POTUS "Disgusting Misogynist," Says Michael Avenatti In Reply Over Suit
John Oliver Mocks Instagram Antics Of Mika Brzezinski, David Muir, Chris Cuomo On 'Last Week Tonight'
Patrick Wilson & Vera Farmiga To Reprise 'Conjuring' Roles As The Warrens In Third 'Annabelle' Movie
Latest TV News
- Netflix Would Like Hollywood To Know It’s A Star Factory
- ‘The Rookie’ Review: Nathan Fillion Cop Dramedy Is A Long, Sad, Drawn-Out Joke About Old Age
- Dennis Hof Dies: Las Vegas Pimp & Star Of HBO ‘Cathouse’ Reality Series Was 72
- ‘Search Party’: Shalita Grant To Recur On Season 3 Of TBS Comedy
- Donald Trump Tweets Support Of Saudi Prince Denial He Ordered Jamal Khashoggi Killed
- ‘AJ And The Queen’: Izzy G To Star As AJ In RuPaul’s Netflix Comedy Series