A trio of holdovers grabbed the bulk of specialty business this weekend, with Fox Searchlight’s Beasts Of The Southern Wild, Sony Classics’ To Rome With Love and Focus’ Moonrise Kingdom leading the pack. Three films, China Heavyweight from Zeitgeist, Magnolia’s The Magic Of Belle Isle and Red Flag’s The Do-Deca-Pentathlon reported numbers for their new, very limited rollouts. Documentary Heavyweight opened in one theater, grossing $2,804, while Magnolia’s Belle Isle launched in several locations, with a modest per-theatre average of $2,750. Red Flag Releasing’s Duplass Bros-directed feature The Do-Deca-Pentathlon averaged a softer $1,250 in 8 locations.
“While we’re disappointed in the initial results this weekend, we believe the strong reviews and amazing word of mouth from festival play will help support the film’s run in its various incarnations,” a Red Flag spokesman said. “This is our first experience with premium VOD and the Duplass fan base is very tech-savvy.” Co-director Mark Duplass told Deadline last week that Fox will handle the title’s VOD release.
Fox Searchlight’s Sundance and Cannes winner Beasts Of The Southern Wild shined the brightest in terms of per-theater average over the weekend. The feature grossed $375K, averaging a killer $19,673 in 19 locations — the best screen average of any film in the overall box office. Beasts opened last weekend in four theaters, averaging more than $42K. Next weekend, the feature will expand to 12 new markets and increase its total location count to about 70 theaters, according to Searchlight, as the film continues its slow rollout. “The grosses have been solid, the reviews very good, and we are hopeful that good word of mouth will start to propel this unique and adventurous film,” said the company’s SVP domestic production Frank Rodriguez.
Woody Allen’s latest, To Rome With Love had a hefty expansion from last weekend. Sony Classics added 777 theaters, bringing the title a $3.5 million weekend gross, placing it at No. 10 in the overall box office. Last weekend Rome averaged a strong $25,874 in 29 locations. The average this weekend was a less stratospheric $4,345. Focus Features added 30 locations for Wes Anderson’s Cannes opener Moonrise Kingdom in its 7th weekend of release. The film placed at No. 9 in the overall box office, grossing almost $4.7 million over the weekend, averaging $5,251 down just 8% from last week’s per-theater average of $5,706.
1. The Magic Of Belle Isle (Magnolia Pictures) NEW [4 Theaters] Weekend $11K, Average $2,750
2. The Do-Deca-Pentathlon (Red Flag) NEW [8 Theaters] Weekend $10K, Average $1,250
3. China Heavyweight (Zeitgeist) NEW [1 Theater] Weekend $2,804
Returning / 2nd Weekend
1. Beasts Of The Southern Wild (Fox Searchlight) Week 2 [19 Theaters] Weekend $375K Average $19,673, Cume $745,300
2. Take This Waltz (Magnolia Pictures) Week 2 [43 Theaters] Weekend $165K Average $3,837, Cume $412K
3. Neil Young Journeys (Magnolia Pictures) Week 2 [5 Theaters] Weekend $11,736 Average $2,347, Cume $34,144
Holdovers / 3RD+ Weekends
1. Moonrise Kingdom (Focus Features) Week 7 [884 Theaters] Weekend $4.641M, Average $5,251 Cume $26.892M
2. To Rome With Love (Sony Pictures Classics) Week 3 [806 Theaters] Weekend $3.5M Average $4,345, Cume $5.26M
3. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (Fox Searchlight) Week 10 [359 Theaters] Weekend $783K, Average $2,181, Cume $42.033M
4. The Intouchables (The Weinstein Company) Week 7 [60 Theaters] Weekend $284K, Average $4,733, Cume $3.107M
5. Safety Not Guaranteed (FilmDistrict) Week 5 [109 Theaters] Weekend $260K, Average $2,385, Cume $2.177M
6. Bernie (Millennium Entertainment) Week 11 [ Theaters] Weekend $258K, Average $2,289, Cume $7.778M
7. Your Sister’s Sister (IFC Films) Week 4 [94 Theaters] Weekend $188K, Average $2K, Cume $1.029M
8. For Greater Glory (Arc Entertainment) Week 6 [39 Theaters] Weekend $49K, Average $1,256, Cume $5.416M
9. Dark Horse (Vitagraph Films) Week 5 [3 Theaters] Weekend $4,660, Average $1,553, Cume $74,451
10. Peace, Love & Misunderstanding (IFC Films) Week 5 [13 Theaters] Weekend $4,485, Average $345, Cume $540K
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.