IFC Films’ Your Sister’s Sister trumped the weekend’s openers in a generally quiet weekend in the specialty box office. The Lynn Shelton-directed feature debuted in 13 theaters, grossing $117K for a respectable $9K average. An IFC Films spokesperson said, “It was a solid opening weekend for the film as we will open the top 30 markets this coming weekend.” Sundance doc Marina Abramovic The Artist Is Present bowed in two theaters, grossing just under $11K for a middling $5,495 average. HBO Films came on board for the project after seeing its installation at New York’s Museum of Modern Art and Music Box Films is handling theatrical. Fellow Sundance doc Something From Nothing: The Art Of Rap directed by Ice-T bowed in 157 theaters, grossing $150K for a paltry $955 average.
Among holdovers, Wes Anderson’s Moonrise Kingdom continued to see its fortunes rise, grossing just under $2.2 million at 178 locations. Focus Features added 82 theaters from the previous weekend for the Cannes opener and it ranked ninth in the overall box office. “Moonrise had another strong weekend at the box office generating big numbers in the new markets, with many theaters in existing markets surpassing their box office yesterday from last Saturday,” Focus told Deadline. “Both trends are indicators of the powerful word of mouth and demand for the film in the marketplace.” Fox Searchlight’s The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel continues to dazzle, crossing the $35M cumulative mark domestically and remaining in the overall box office top 10 in 8th place. The feature grossed $2.2M, dropping only 31% in 1184 theaters. It is easily the No. 1 one specialty release of 2012.
1. Something From Nothing: The Art Of Rap (Indomina) NEW [157 Theaters] Weekend $150K, Average $955
2. Your Sister’s Sister (IFC Films) NEW [13 Theaters] Weekend $117K, Average $9K
3. Woman In The Fifth (ATO Pictures) Week [9 Theaters] Weekend $37K, Average $4,109
4. Marina Abramovic The Artist Is Present (Music Box Films) NEW [2 Theaters] Weekend $10,989, Average $5,495, Cume $16,235
Returning / 2nd Weekend
1. Safety Not Guaranteed (FilmDistrict) Week 2 [47 Theaters] Weekend $295K, Average $6,277, Cume $438K
2. Peace, Love & Misunderstanding (IFC Films) Week 2 [77 Theaters] Weekend $138K, Average $1,800, Cume $279K
3. Lola Versus (Fox Searchlight) Week 2 [52 Theaters] Weekend $59K, Average $1,141, Cume $105K
4. Dark Horse (Vitagraph Films) Week 2 [2 Theaters] Weekend $10,500, Average $5,250
Holdovers / 3RD+ Weekends
1. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (Fox Searchlight) Week 7 [1184 Theaters] Weekend $2.2M, Average $1,858, Cume $35.13M
2. Moonrise Kingdom (Focus Features) Week 4 [178 Theaters] Weekend $2.18M, Average $12,253 Cume $6.778M
3. Bernie (Millennium Entertainment) Week 4 [300 Theaters] Weekend $610,181, Average $2,033, Cume $5.86M
4. For Greater Glory (ARC Entertainment) Week 3 [380 Theaters] Weekend $525K, Average $1,382, Cume $4.52M
5. The Intouchables (The Weinstein Company) Week 4 [77 Theaters] Weekend $356K, Average $4,623, Cume $1.55M
6. Hysteria (Sony Pictures Classics) Week 5 [205 Theaters] Weekend $298K, Average $1,455, Cume $905K
7. Crooked Arrows (Branded/Peck Entertainment) Week 2 [97 Theaters] Weekend $56K, Average $580, Cume $1.73M
8. First Position (Sundance Selects) Week 6 [41 Theaters] Weekend $32,800, Average $800, Cume $850,704
9. Girl In Progress (Pantelion/Lionsgate) Week 6 [41 Theaters] Weekend $21K, Average $512, Cume $2.59M
10. Polisse (Sundance Selects) Week 4 [9 Theaters] Weekend $10K, Average $1K, Cume $173K
11. We Have A Pope (Sundance Selects) Week 10 [9 Theaters] Weekend $4,500, Average $500, Cume $490K
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.